• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tapes and adhesives,need to repair a plastic toolbox.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I am not sure where to put this but here is my problem.
I have an old (about 20 years) Craftsman socket set that is packaged in one of those plastic injection molded/blow molded cases that stores sockets in the lid as well as the bottom half of it.
As it turns out the case must be biodegradeable and the process has started,much too soon for me at least.
What I need is some sort of tape or whatever to create a new hinge to hold it all together as intended.
There is tape out there that is pliable but impossible to remove once applied and I think that is what I need.If anyone has ever done much sewer work,like storm sewers for example they are now making sediment filters etc out of corrugated plastic and the kit to attach pipe/chambers etc to each other is large worm type clamps and "tape".
I am here to tell you that if you ever put that tape in the wrong spot you better forget about it,I have never seen anything stick like that will.Always read the instructions and use the right length of tape for the right joint because once it sticks it stays.LOL.
I already have velcro strips with adhesive backing and can use that for latches but I need something for the hinges without resorting to drilling etc.
This can be a useful thread as this is a very common problem.
Help us out guys.Ron G

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Hi RonG,

I don't have time to make a proper post right now, I just logged in to see if I had any PMs, but I'll be back... hopefully... with a couple techniques I've used.

OCR

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Thanks,I need all the help I can get:).Ron G

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Hi RonG,
but I'll be back...
OCR

Hi RonG... again.

The "but I'll be back" statement was a bit of a stretch... sorry... :eek:

There's a product called "Goop", that might work... it seems to stick anything to everything... lol

On one of my Leatherman tool belt holsters, I used it to glue the top part back on, after the stitching failed... been holding for a couple of years now.

I was thinking you could use the Goop as a glue, and a couple pieces of that small ratchet strap material for hinges.

I made a flash light holder for an old fire pack using ratchet strap material... two pieces, and just glued them on. I also, about 30 seconds ago, tried to tear them off... I suppose I could have, with extreme effort. I also took a picture, but it's so... well... filthy, I decided not to post it... lol

You probably have it fixed by now, but if not, could you post a picture of the tool box?

I'd like to see if what I'm talking about might work... I think I've got some of the same, but really never thought about fixing them.

Also, what's that tape you mentioned... that sounds very interesting.

Take care,

OCR

countrylife

Occupation
Retired
Try "Gorilla Tape" - should be able to get it at Home Depot - maybe Lowe's, but not sure. It sticks to the corrugated plastic they use under RV trailers and doesn't come off with 60 mph winds. Gorilla Tape looks a lot like Duck tape but they are NOT the same.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
No problem OTC.I have not done anything with it yet,I like to plan ahead and think things through properly before I act.I had planned to go to "EPPCO",one of the pipe suppliers in my area and pick their brain about this tape that is used on the PVC structures and see if it is available to buy seperately.
I will take a look at this Gorilla tape at home depot too.Thanks countrylife.
I do not have a pic,well,maybe I do,will have to look but it is just a very common small black tool case that is blow molded or whatever to contain three ratchets and skatyeight fractional and metric sockets from 1/4 to 1/2" drive.The set is a Craftsman and was bought on QVC for a very dedicated employee who worked on his bosses equipment seven days a week to keep from taking another drink while he was going through a tough divorce.....LOL.
I have had it since the late eighties and the boss knew what he was doing because I use it a lot.
I don't have any tiedown straps that I want to cut up but might be able to find an old military belt that has shrunk over the years,that should do it just fine.
I have some of that "Goop",plumbers goop is what it says on the tube,that may be the same stuff.I really have not focused too much on a solution but am leaning towards the tape if I can find the right stuff,that is something that I would like to have around for other things maybe.I will let you know what I end up with.I'll also take some before and after pics of it.Here are a couple that I found,it is tucked in behind the head there.Ron G

Attachments

• DSCF0070.jpg
    DSCF0070.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 764
  • DSCF0039.jpg
    DSCF0039.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 754
  • DSCF0042.jpg
    DSCF0042.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 765