1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Tape measure falls 50 stories, killing man at construction site

Discussion in 'Safety Issues' started by Stump Knocker, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Stump Knocker

Stump Knocker Well-Known Member

Retired
  2. Hardline

Hardline Senior Member

Small business owner
    That's too sad. Said his hard hat was in his truck.

3. CM1995

CM1995 Administrator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    I heard this on the radio yesterday, what a shame. Just goes to show it only takes a second.

4. Steve Frazier

Steve Frazier Founder Staff Member

That trucking company is located about 45 minutes from me, I see the trucks pretty often. What a freak thing to happen

5. digger242j

digger242j Administrator

Self employed excavator
    I was grading in between two new houses last week, with guys putting the roof on one of them. I had to stop three different times, twice to pick up a tape, and once to pick up a chalk line. The guy explained to me that the rope to his safety harness always gets fouled on his tool belt and knocks stuff out.

As far as the accident reported above goes, I'm not sure a hardhat would be enough to protect against a one pound object falling 50 stories.

Sad... :(

6. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

Sounds like it ricocheted off a piece of machinery, we'll never know but a hard hat might have made the difference between fatal and serious concussion. Sad anyway.

7. CM1995

CM1995 Administrator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    I agree landtraxco, I'll take my chances with a hardhat.

This is a lesson for all of us to be cautious and prudent while we're working, anything can happen. It doesn't take something like this to take us out, I've been to the ER for much less but I lived to tell the story..