• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tandem Duals vs. Triples

Long0

Charter Member
Occupation
Project Manager
For the last couple of months I have been looking to purchase a gooseneck trailer to haul my dozer. Hauling weight of the dozer should be right about 18,000lbs.

From the research I have done, I can pick-up a triple axle for about 1K cheaper than a tandem dual trailer. I am looking for opinions on what you prefer, benefits of either axle combo, ect.

Andy

Dusty

Charter Member
the tandums will wear less that a tri axle trailer when u do a u turn the tri axle will rip the back set of tires so i would spend the extra money 4 the duals

wroughtnharv

Charter Member
Occupation
self employed maker of things
The triple axle trailers are hard on tires. Those back axles get scrubbed every turn.

There is another alternative. The seventeen and a half inch tires give you the capacity of duals without having four extra tires on the trailer.

Where this comes in really handy is like in backhoe trailers where the tractor rides in between the tires instead of on top of them like on dual wheel trailers.

Bruton here in Texas has a great backhoe trailer that allows you to haul a Cat 416 snug as a bug in a rug.

imjustdave

is the capasity of the 2 axels enough? the 3rd axel may increase your legal capasity to carry heavy loads. if not I think I would go with the tandam duals. Just make sure to check tire PSI, ETC and you should be good to haul