• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tall shifters

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
iu

iu

Pops52

Occupation
Worn out lowbed driver "retired"
Is this a joke or is this really in something out there? Imagine trying to find the neutral gate from 19.... Its like a corn maze
Andy, I found that pic in my "Wheels of Time" magazine. The title said "Shift Happens" However, in my formative years, 68-73, I had the joy of spending a little time in a 1960 IH Emeryville cabover with a 10 speed roadranger and I swear to this day it had that same shift pattern!! Linkage and shift tower so worn you just stirred the stick & hoped for the best. Regarding you're previous post, the old trucks are more fun to drive now than they were back in the day.
Dave

colson04

I can't figure this one out to save my life. :D Dad has this in an old John Deere 4020. Not sure what else it came in. I'm just happy to be moving in the proper direction when I let out the clutch....

This is the John Deere Synchro Shift. Introduced in the 10 series in the 1960s, they offered it as an option into the late 70's/early 80's. You don't shift sequentially with it. You choose the pair of synchronized gears that provide the ground speed needed for your task at hand. If you're going down the road, start in 6, get load moving, then shift up to 8 and roll coal. The 1-3-R or 2-5-R groups were great for loader operations as you had a slow gear to load the bucket, and a faster gear to travel to dump, synchronized with a reverse gear.

They were certainly an improvement over the old 4 speed gear boxes offered at the time, bit with the introduction of the PowerShift transmissions, they became outdated pretty quick. I racked up a lot of hours on a 4020 with a synchroshift when I was a teen moving and staging round bales out of fields

56wrench

IMO the syncroshift was far better for loader work as you did not have to go back down through the gears, over through neutral and back up into reverse like on the powershift. the quad-range starting with the 30 series wasn't much better because of the 2 shifters. after putting in a few thousand hours on the jd 4010-4020 and 30 series, anything else was clumsy until the shuttleshift came along for loader work. i am no longer a deere fan, but the 4020 was probably one of, if not the best, all-around ag tractor ever built. they only lacked mechanical FWA and a decent cab

colson04

IMO the syncroshift was far better for loader work as you did not have to go back down through the gears, over through neutral and back up into reverse like on the powershift. the quad-range starting with the 30 series wasn't much better because of the 2 shifters. after putting in a few thousand hours on the jd 4010-4020 and 30 series, anything else was clumsy until the shuttleshift came along for loader work. i am no longer a deere fan, but the 4020 was probably one of, if not the best, all-around ag tractor ever built. they only lacked mechanical FWA and a decent cab

Nobody likes a Quad Range, especially the single stick quad range in the 40 series. We had a 4020 console with PowerShift and tricycle front at one time on the feed wagon. That was a really nice application. Tight turning, easy to shift gears while watching mixer while it fed out. Today, I'll take a 7x10 or 6x10 series Deere over the 4020 any day. Quad Range with partial power shift and power reverser. Loader work in our 7810 is almost as efficient as using a wheel loader. No clutch, just flip the reverser and the other direction you go. Same with our 6410s. We also had a 6420 and 6330 with that set up. Works great feeding cows or working in the fields.

Tyler d4c

Nobody likes a Quad Range, especially the single stick quad range in the 40 series. We had a 4020 console with PowerShift and tricycle front at one time on the feed wagon. That was a really nice application. Tight turning, easy to shift gears while watching mixer while it fed out. Today, I'll take a 7x10 or 6x10 series Deere over the 4020 any day. Quad Range with partial power shift and power reverser. Loader work in our 7810 is almost as efficient as using a wheel loader. No clutch, just flip the reverser and the other direction you go. Same with our 6410s. We also had a 6420 and 6330 with that set up. Works great feeding cows or working in the fields.
You know I sorta like all john deere tractors. I make alot of money fixing them

Pony

I can't provide specifics but I seem to remember an uncle (now passed away) telling stories about an early Man truck shift pattern.
Apparently it only had forward and rearwards movement on a single plane, however you had in raise or lower the stick for each gear.
Said it was very easy to raise/lower to much and miss a change.
Any one else have any first-hand experience?