1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Tall brick building ideas?

Discussion in 'Demolition' started by lgammon, Oct 1, 2021.

1. lgammon

lgammon Senior Member

This building has structureral brick walls. I think 2 or 3 wide. It is about 25 feet tall with a very tight site. I can access all I need from the right or high side. I only have a 130 komatsu and a 953. I also will be doing some grading to the right side and have 30 or 40 loads of dirt to remove, that I can use to build a ramp. I'm a little worried about taking a brick wall in the lap. Any ideas or suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. lgammon

lgammon Senior Member

More pics

Attached Files:

3. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    First thought out of the gate is your 130 is not enough hoe to handle that building, you need at least a 50-60K hoe for the reach at a minimum then the other problem becomes space to work in.

What kind of distance from the building do you have to work with? A brick building like this will create a lot of debris that goes everywhere especially places you don't want it to go like the parking lot on the other side of the alley.

How is the roof constructed? Wood, bar joists?

This is a challenging demo, not impossible by any means but challenging none the less.

colson04 and lgammon like this.
  4. lgammon

lgammon Senior Member

I was toying with the idea of a demo pole on the loader . Covering the right side with dirt and pulling it down that way. A 50k ex would be great, but that is next to impossible to find to rent right now. Plus I always try to run what I got. The building still has tenants in it so I haven't been inside. It was built 1920 so I'm guessing wood sitting in notches in the brick.

5. lgammon

lgammon Senior Member

6. lgammon

lgammon Senior Member

Opps

Attached Files:

7. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

i hear ya on the rental situation, next to nothing available.

Not a bad idea with loader and pole, even a large I-beam would work. We've got several I-beams on the yard that would work just a drive to come get them.:D

Are you calling the "right side" the side of the building facing the parking lot?

8. lgammon

lgammon Senior Member

Well tomarrow is the big day. I will try to get some better pictures. This is the ramp I built up the side

9. lgammon

lgammon Senior Member

Opps

Attached Files:

10. mudnducs

mudnducs Well-Known Member

retired mech eng
    Itll be a learning experience to see how you do this. :)

11. Tones

Tones Senior Member

Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
    Get the excavator inside the building and pull everything inwards. Don't get greedy pulling the outer walls. I have seen them spin, one end coming in and the other going out. The higher you can get the ramp the better even if you have to make it steeper. I've worked on tighter sites than you have here and the big secret is to keep thinking, modify any ideas you may have at the start to suit the unexpected.

12. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

So how did it go??

13. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

Hopefully ok?