• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Talk me out of a JD 710

92b16si

I'm looking to buy a new to me backhoe in the next couple of months. I currently have a case 580sl , and looking for something a bit bigger but not an excavator. I mostly do farm work out in Mexico, build, fix dirt roads, orchard work( pull tree stumps, hilling, loading manure) and most importantly water retention ponds. I hear the JD 710 is pretty much a excavator with wheels, and front loader. So I think it would be a great addition. But my concern is how reliable are they compared to case 580sl?I'm in the middle of no where and anything besides filters , diesel, and oil will be ruffly about 4 hrs away. ( But so are most of the parts for the case). Anything else I should look into instead?

AzIron

28 to 30 thousand pounds is a good reason to look at a 410
710s are decent units I think they are a little to powerful for there own good they dont hold up to abuse as well as a 310 but if you are more operator than cab occupant you will be ok.

Jd parts are just about as abundant as case they might be a little more expensive cause of size

Also 710 are far fewer than 580s or 310s so it does affect parts availability

AzIron

How heavy is a 410? Digging deph difference ? And hp?

Depends on the series the current L series is around 20000 lbs the older ones like an e ar around 18000 lbs
A 410 with an e stick will get 17 foot almost 18
310 or 580 barely get 16 but a g series and newer 710 will get 21 foot it actually has about a foot more depth than an equal weight excavator.

I couldn't speak to a 780 never seen one in real life have ran quite a few cat 446 tho and the one 710 I ran was similar they are no were near as agile as a 580 good for bigger work they carry buckets almost twice the size of a 580 or 310 but they lack a lot on speed and they take a fair bit more finesse to run. If your doing anything limited access or tight quarters they are just to big to be efficient but open area they work good

92b16si

Iam in a very rural area. Will mostly be working on avocado orchards. Only 780s I see are like 1989-1990. Anything a little newer?

AzIron

Do you do a lot of jobs were you have the opinion that your 580 just can't sit it

92b16si

Do you do a lot of jobs were you have the opinion that your 580 just can't sit it
sort off sometimes i need a bit more power to push or dig. and if im going to buy another machine might as well buy something a bit bigger. i would really love to stay with Case but it seems like my only option will be the 590.

AzIron

I am not a case guy and I have never ran a 590 but they are comparable to a 410 so you would get a few more horse power and some more weight is it a noticeable difference yes is it life changing probably not if you want life changing then get a 710

Personally I have stacked my 310 sl hl against a 710 digging footings on a tilt building the 710 did not out perform my machine it's got a much slower cycle time but it will kill a smaller machine loading trucks and digging deep only because of bucket capacity it's just a matter of what you want in a machine

Sounds to me like a 590 might fit the bill just fine especially if you want to stay case one thing I can tell you is every machine I ran I have always wanted just a little more reach and a little more power it never ends

92b16si

690elc

You need a JD 710d and up IF: You want to always sink up to the axles in any wet dirt, roll over on a fast swing because the outriggers are 18" too short, you want to NOT be able to see the hole you are digging because the boom is the size of a Ford pickup, you like to do wheelies on any slight uphill drive unless you fill the bucket full first, you want the same digging speed as a 310d but with a huge 6 cylinder engine and 2x the fuel use. It is not a excavator on wheels, it is a liability and a lead weight. I use a 655c Ford New Holland along side it and its like driving a motorcycle rather than a semi truck. And the Ford out works it in any fashion. Don't go over a 510 size in Deere, and the 580 Case is fine. Any back hoe over 16000# is going up against the rules of physics. Get a smaller track hoe with a blade if you are going to do a lot of trench work. Just my hard won opinion, results may vary.