• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Takeuchi vertical lift track loader

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I must say that this machine looks really good. I am getting a quote on one actually. Finally TK addressed the cab. The specs look good. I am not as excited about the Kubota motor that has a DOC, SCR and DPF.

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
Looks like a great machine. Bout time they updated their cabs....very nice track loader....

barnbuilder

I must say that this machine looks really good. I am getting a quote on one actually. Finally TK addressed the cab. The specs look good. I am not as excited about the Kubota motor that has a DOC, SCR and DPF.

You keeping us in suspense, or are you gonna let us know the price?:D

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I am still waiting on a number.

movindirt

I really like the new cab, I like how they moved the radio up to the front so you can switch stations without turning around and reaching behind you :D I'd like to know what they are MRSP'ing at too.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The machine has a lift capacity at 50% of about 5500 pounds. A 115 hp or so. The coolers swing out. I wish they were pushing 4K on the high flow but perhaps that is possible with some tweaking. Sounds like they wont be on the ground until around April.

movindirt

I was very impressed by the specs, I can't wait till our Takeuchi dealer gets one in. Its interesting that they lengthened the track frame for it.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Looks like mid 80's with high flow and ride control, dedicated H pattern with 84" bucket.

pafarmer

Occupation
It's still a pretty dated design IMHO and shows little change in the suspension/ride Dept.....Spend a couple days in a TAK and than a couple days in a 299XHP and tell me if that 20K is not worth every single penny you paid for it...I like the TAK, they are little powerhouses but has been weighed, measured and found lacking in a huge way when compared to the 299XHP in the HP and hydro flow Dept but the most note worthy difference in my mind is how rough a ride they tend to have..at the end of a long day or many long days in my case, ride quality becomes a very important piece of the overall CTL buyers puzzle...All aspects need to be considered and some of the most Important money making features such as ride quality are not found on a spec sheet...

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I wouldnt call it dated. The TK with the same engine as the XHP, has slightly more hp, and torque. Has a ROC almost 1K more than the XHP. Weighs about 1 K more, more tractive effort, more ground clearance (considerably more), higher lift height, more reach, more bucket breakout. The only thing the TK does not out spec the CAT is in HF hydraulic pressure. The CAT bests TK by 500 psi. TK says they have improved the ride and made it more quiet. I doubt it can match the ride quality of the torsion system that CAT uses. It is awesome. I cant compare the cab, but TK looks very nice, and the CAT cab is also nice (except the floor to seat height). TK continues to use pilot controls, certainly more durable than EH, perhaps better feel, but does not give you the options that EH can give.

This machine is all new PA, it wont be on the ground until April. I don't think you can compare previous TK machines to this one. CAT may still be a better machine for you, but for me, I can get a big machine with crazy capacity for 20K less than the XHP. I really like the torsion suspension, it was the best part of the 299 that I demoed, but CAT pricing is just ridiculous.

Now that there are larger and more powerful options, perhaps the price on the XHP will come down.

pafarmer

Occupation
I wouldnt call it dated. The TK with the same engine as the XHP, has slightly more hp, and torque. Has a ROC almost 1K more than the XHP. Weighs about 1 K more, more tractive effort, more ground clearance (considerably more), higher lift height, more reach, more bucket breakout. The only thing the TK does not out spec the CAT is in HF hydraulic pressure. The CAT bests TK by 500 psi. TK says they have improved the ride and made it more quiet. I doubt it can match the ride quality of the torsion system that CAT uses. It is awesome. I cant compare the cab, but TK looks very nice, and the CAT cab is also nice (except the floor to seat height). TK continues to use pilot controls, certainly more durable than EH, perhaps better feel, but does not give you the options that EH can give.

This machine is all new PA, it wont be on the ground until April. I don't think you can compare previous TK machines to this one. CAT may still be a better machine for you, but for me, I can get a big machine with crazy capacity for 20K less than the XHP. I really like the torsion suspension, it was the best part of the 299 that I demoed, but CAT pricing is just ridiculous.

Now that there are larger and more powerful options, perhaps the price on the XHP will come down.

You certainly aren't going to get an argument from me on the Price of the 299XHP. I know better than most that CAT thinks their machines are milled from a solid Gold bar....it is totally outrageous ! Even in volume as I buy them...Ride is a huge factor when you get in the machine at 6 am and don't climb out until 6 pm....at my age it everything....K lime the TAK machines and have owned a few in the recent past. I would consider buying a new one if they spent sone time and money on the suspension.... All of our 299XHP put out 6 to 9 % more hydro pressure than advertised by CAT from the factory..there is allot of money in good hydro pumps and systems. What I am getting at is the CAT's are more expensive but key components that are expensive are very good on the CAT equipment and that's where the value comes from for those extra dollars in my opinion. Looking forward to a Demo later this Spring on the New TAK CTL's....

movindirt

You certainly aren't going to get an argument from me on the Price of the 299XHP. I know better than most that CAT thinks their machines are milled from a solid Gold bar....it is totally outrageous ! Even in volume as I buy them...Ride is a huge factor when you get in the machine at 6 am and don't climb out until 6 pm....at my age it everything....K lime the TAK machines and have owned a few in the recent past. I would consider buying a new one if they spent sone time and money on the suspension.... All of our 299XHP put out 6 to 9 % more hydro pressure than advertised by CAT from the factory..there is allot of money in good hydro pumps and systems. What I am getting at is the CAT's are more expensive but key components that are expensive are very good on the CAT equipment and that's where the value comes from for those extra dollars in my opinion. Looking forward to a Demo later this Spring on the New TAK CTL's....

I would have to agree with both of you, I personally would use a big machine like this for dirt work, basement backfills, truck loading. Like a slightly downsized 953. The only problem with me is our Takeuchi dealer isn't the best to work with on parts or service compared to our Cat dealer. At any rate, it will definately be fun to try one out in a few months :drinkup

pafarmer

Occupation
KSSS is an extremely knowledgeable member and I appreciate his views and thoughts on most everything we discuss here.
To me, the bottom line and most important aspect on any equipment purchase is the dealer ! The dealer can make or break any equipment purchase. If you do not have their full support it can/will ruin your experience of ownership no matter what the brand is. I ran Bobcat for many many years until the owner of the dealership retired and his clueless son took over the business. He acted as if he was doing you a huge favor by selling you a machine, had poor support, poor servive and parts Dept. anyone who was good that was employed there quit because of this NEW owner and guys like myself left for greener pastures.
My CAT salesman and his company appreciates my business and they prove that often by their continued support to me. At the end of the day, the name on the side of the machine doesn't mean much if the dealer sucks. Pick a great dealer that wants your business and will work to maintain it and only then should you start to pick one of his products. CAT is my pick based on the above and I suggest this approach be taken to anyone looking to spend their hard earned money
On equipment...I like to try different makes and models myself but at this point I would never move away from where I am at in terms of my dealer and their support to me and my business....The dealer is 95 percent of the equation on equipment buying decision IMHO.....your mileage may vary.....

My .02

Farmer....

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I think if there is an issue with TK nationwide it is their dealer network. The problem I see is this. It is really hard for anyone to open up a dealership and sell TK as your standalone equipment line. It is hard for BC dealers out West to be stand alone dealers. As a result you see the equipment seller who sells other lines also carry TK. That can become problematic. CASE or Deere or whomever their mainline OEM never likes shortline OEMS like TK or Kubota, so they can pressure the dealer to have two locations one for the short line and one for the main line or dictate the manner in which they floor the equipment causing issues at the dealership. Sometimes they are successful in not allowing the short line to be carried at the same time as the main line OEM at all.

As a result of these and other issues, you see a constant expansion and contraction of dealerships. That makes it hard for customers to be able to depend on TK year to year in some areas. Even in my area, my CASE dealership which has carried TK for a long time (probably since 2000-2002) almost ended their agreement with TK due to differences in what my dealer was willing to floor. They were not interested in carrying TK's SSL. TK insisted that they do carry the SSL. This long standing TK dealership was nearly dropped until TK and the dealer were able to come to an agreement. It was close to TK losing a large dealer in this area.

To Farmers point, TK equipment is very durable if not perhaps a bit primitive from a comfort standpoint. I don't want to overstate their durability, but my personal experience which has only been with their mini excavator has been excellent. I have owned three of their 6 ton machines since 03 and in complete honestly I don't think I have spent more than $2K in repairs on all of them combined in that time. I sell them between 2500 and 3000 hours. There appears to be a concerted effort by TK to improve their reputation of being a bit primitive in the cab and in their comfort levels. The latest excavators that I have run and from the pictures of the latest CTL's they look a lot better.

However as good as the TK equipment is, it does break, and if you cant depend on the dealer to be there when you need them, you have to look to those OEMs that will be. I don't think there is an easy answer for this, I think it will continue to be situational. I am personally very fortunate to have the local CASE dealership carrying TK. The dealership is large and successful. They send techs to the TK schools and they carry a lot of TK parts, I can run and have run TK with great support. However even in Salt Lake City which is a huge market (at least for out here) there isn't currently a TK dealer (as I was told) that cant happen. These are the demons that TK needs to exercise if they are to continue to grow and gain business from guys like Farmer and many others.

Last edited:

guisep3

I think if there is an issue with TK nationwide it is their dealer network. The problem I see is this. It is really hard for anyone to open up a dealership and sell TK as your standalone equipment line. It is hard for BC dealers out West to be stand alone dealers. As a result you see the equipment seller who sells other lines also carry TK. That can become problematic. CASE or Deere or whomever their mainline OEM never likes shortline OEMS like TK or Kubota, so they can pressure the dealer to have two locations one for the short line and one for the main line or dictate the manner in which they floor the equipment causing issues at the dealership. Sometimes they are successful in not allowing the short line to be carried at the same time as the main line OEM at all.

As a result of these and other issues, you see a constant expansion and contraction of dealerships. That makes it hard for customers to be able to depend on TK year to year in some areas. Even in my area, my CASE dealership which has carried TK for a long time (probably since 2000-2002) almost ended their agreement with TK due to differences in what my dealer was willing to floor. They were not interested in carrying TK's SSL. TK insisted that they do carry the SSL. This long standing TK dealership was nearly dropped until TK and the dealer were able to come to an agreement. It was close to TK losing a large dealer in this area.

To Farmers point, TK equipment is very durable if not perhaps a bit primitive from a comfort standpoint. I don't want to overstate their durability, but my personal experience which has only been with their mini excavator has been excellent. I have owned three of their 6 ton machines since 03 and in complete honestly I don't think I have spent more than $2K in repairs on all of them combined in that time. I sell them between 2500 and 3000 hours. There appears to be a concerted effort by TK to improve their reputation of being a bit primitive in the cab and in their comfort levels. The latest excavators that I have run and from the pictures of the latest CTL's they look a lot better.

However as good as the TK equipment is, it does break, and if you cant depend on the dealer to be there when you need them, you have to look to those OEMs that will be. I don't think there is an easy answer for this, I think it will continue to be situational. I am personally very fortunate to have the local CASE dealership carrying TK. The dealership is large and successful. They send techs to the TK schools and they carry a lot of TK parts, I can run and have run TK with great support. However even in Salt Lake City which is a huge market (at least for out here) there isn't currently a TK dealer (as I was told) that cant happen. These are the demons that TK needs to exercise if they are to continue to grow and gain business from guys like Farmer and many others.

Agree with both you guys about dealers being the biggest factor of buying a machine. This morning I had my local case dealer/tak salesman show up to my jobsite which he learned from my office. I was caught off guard but impressed with his initiative. He quoted me the new tak tl12v2 with every option available for $84k. With a 6k discount if cash purchase. Not to mention he said he's willing to demo me a machine for up to a month to help persuade.
I haven't had much luck with dealers offering demos that's for damn sure.
He's making it very hard to say no to replacing the old bobcat with this machine.
Don't think I really need the high flow which he said was a $5000 option.

Jmac03

These machines are on the ground now!! I was at Takeuchi dealer in RI and he said he is the getting the TL12V2 next week. Also, on these machines they changed the track guide design - where it used to have the exposed metal plates, the track will now have the raised rubber rail, like the Bobcat, CAT, and everyone else. This will improve the ride quality a bit. I can't wait to test this machine!!

guisep3

These machines are on the ground now!! I was at Takeuchi dealer in RI and he said he is the getting the TL12V2 next week. Also, on these machines they changed the track guide design - where it used to have the exposed metal plates, the track will now have the raised rubber rail, like the Bobcat, CAT, and everyone else. This will improve the ride quality a bit. I can't wait to test this machine!!

Jmac03,
Can you please go test ride the crap out of the v2 and post your reviews of it?
I'm extremely interested in buying one but my dealer can't demo me the v2. He is willing to demo me the tl12 for a month. But doesn't do me much good considering the v2 is completely different loading features.
Thanks bud