• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Takeuchi TL140 stability, narrow outside track width

Matt Hyatt

I just took ownership of a TL140, and when my neighbor came over with his Bobcat t250 - I noticed right away how much farther his 18 inch tracks were apart then my 18 inch tracks, so I measured them and came up with about 11 inches wider inside to inside, and same on the outside.

So I checked the tl140 specs against Case, Bobcat, Cat, and Deere, and every single other loader has outside widths around 78 inches on the 10,000lb models, and Tak's is 69.7.

Anyone have any insight to why they would do this? Assuming COGs are similiar - wouldn't the other tractors have a major advantage on even ground? I was out today, and considering the first time I've ever used a skid was when I took ownership of the TL140 a month ago, I noticed that it feels more tippy (more front to back than anything) than I was expecting.

Mark13

I'm not entirely sure why their machines are narrower but it's ok with me. I have a TL230 that is only 63" or 64" wide and even when working on side hills I've never felt it get tippy. I've had it to the point where I can't stay in the seat anymore and am worried about walking a track off but never gotten it to the point where I was sure I was going to lay it over. I like the narrow foot print though, allows me to get into places a wider machine can't get yet still have a very productive and strong machine.

Matt Hyatt

Someone on lawnsite said that since Takeuchi pioneered the track loader in the 90s, they didn't need to utilize an existing skid steer frame that was in production and out tracks on it, so they could design a track loader purpose built. Makes me wonder if that means they can go narrower (to get in narrower places) due to the inherent increase in stability with tracks. But then again, nobody runs 72in buckets or 66 on your 230 to maximize potential of the narrow tracks now do they?

skata

you'll soon learn to appreciate the narrower footprint. makes for tight manuevering. and like mentioned, the Tak were built from ground up to be tracked machines, not converted wheel machines like bobcat, case, and many others. but if you really wanted a bigger machine, then go to a tl150.
but with the tl140, i never felt it to be unstable. forward tippy? sure with a heavy load, with the arms up in the air. but for moving dirt, these machines are hard to beat.
i'm waiting for a tl10r to come out, to upgrade. big power in a small size.

Matt Hyatt

Reached out to some Tak employees over the weekend - take a look at this one response - right in line with some other replies:

Hello Matthew,
Thank s for reaching out and congratulations on your TL140.
You are correct that there are some distinct differences in the Takeuchi products when compared to the competition. Like any feature, you can put a sales spin on anything so that it benefits whomever you’re targeting but here’s my attempt to answer your questions.
I sounds like you have two questions. Overall width and machine balance.

Overall width
• I’ll try to keep it brief, when Takeuchi built the world’s first compact track loader in 1986 it was based on a “Dedicated” frame design. This allows an overall narrower design to allow the machine to maneuver the tight jobsites of residential conduction and specialty agriculture like vineyards. The balance of the machine still allows it to have a maximum gradeability (up and down) of 30 digress, and a lateral tipping angle (Across slope) of 15 degrees (depending on operating conditions). See operator’s manual section 3 for more details. Our fully welded frame design has integrated cross members so if has a lot of strength and durability.
• Competitors all started building skid steers first and as a result, already had the chain cases as part of the frame. You can still see this on all the competitors you mentioned. This results in a much wider machine. I could make a case for either point but you get the idea.
• Machines build from their skid steer siblings will almost always have lower ground clearance (Takeuchi TL140 @ 12.8” vs BC’s T250 @ 8.7”).

Machine balance.
• Takeuchi builds a machine suited for many applications. One key application is excavating and grading. The Takeuchi has a more “flat footed” weight distribution to help with engaging the ground when grading and excavating. Many operator’s claim this also helps them keep a more consistent grade. Think about a dozers weight distribution.
• Many other machines are focused more on tipping load and as a result put as much weight in the rear for use as counterweight to help them offset the load on the bucket/attachment. This is great for loading but may not be as desirable for tying to engage the ground or other general type work because the machine can become very back heavy in some scenarios.

I hope I’m not too biased on my reply. There really are a lot of different perspectives but I feel Takeuchi builds it machines with a lot of metal in the places that it’s important. They are often referred to as a dozer or a tank due to their durability and capability. I hope you enjoy your machine and thank you for choosing a Takeuchi.

JD8875

Yes, the Taks are narrower and it's one of the things I love about my tl130. I have an almost 70hp machine that is just under 66" wide and will fit almost anywhere, yet it will easily handle a low pro 72" tooth bucket for production or I can go back to a 66" smooth bucket to squeeze between houses on skinny lots. Or if the ground is really hard a 66" tooth bucket puts a lot of force on a much smaller area to dig in hard going. I regularly hang my tl130 off the inside of a pond dam til it will slide sideways but I've never had it feel like I was going to go over. Coming from a 78" wide machine on OTTs I love my tl130's narrow approach.

John

icestationzebra

The little Gehl is 66" wide with 13.3" of ground clearance with a dedicated track loader frame. ISZ

Mark13

Someone on lawnsite said that since Takeuchi pioneered the track loader in the 90s, they didn't need to utilize an existing skid steer frame that was in production and out tracks on it, so they could design a track loader purpose built. Makes me wonder if that means they can go narrower (to get in narrower places) due to the inherent increase in stability with tracks. But then again, nobody runs 72in buckets or 66 on your 230 to maximize potential of the narrow tracks now do they?

On my 230 I run 78" buckets. I was going to go 72" on some of them but that's to small, my tooth, smooth edge and grapple bucket are all 78" and it handles the just fine. With a wider bucket on the narrow machine it keeps the tracks in clean conditions most of the time, no spoils running off the edge of the bucket right into the undercarriage.

The little Gehl is 66" wide with 13.3" of ground clearance with a dedicated track loader frame. ISZ
Do you by chance have a Gehl Ctl 60 or 65?

icestationzebra

I don’t own one, but I can tell you it will be similar to the equivalent sized Tak. ISZ

icestationzebra

The RT series is an in-house design which came out in 2010 I think. Prior to that they are rebadged Tak’s. I heard there were some slight differences with the cab but can’t confirm. (Same goes for Mustang) ISZ

Mark13

Aint gehl's just rebadged taks?

The Gehl CTL 60/65, 70/75, and 80/85 along with the Mustang MTL 16/316,20/320, and 25/325 line were Takeuchi machines with a different cab supplied by Gehl with a swing out door.