• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Takeuchi TL130 Electrical problems

Jason Hughes

Hey All,
I have searched through everything here and can’t find my exact issue.

This machine has had lots of issues that I’ve fixed, but this one has got me stumped.

After about 10-15 minutes, my hydraulics start acting strange and all functions start to quit working and then the engine starts running rough. If I shut it down, the engine won’t restart and it’s like the battery is nearly dead. If I wait 15-30 minutes, it fires right back up and seems normal for a few minutes and then it starts over acting weird. It seems a relay is heating up and going intermittent or something, but I can’t narrow it down. If I wait until the next day to try again, it repeats almost exactly timeframe wise.

The battery is charging while it is running to about 14 volts. The battery, alternator, and belt are all new. The fuses are all new and good in the fuse panel and near the battery in the back. All my gauges seem to work properly (which I chased for a month to get working correctly).

I have tried using the bypass wiring near the battery and that doesn’t change any of my issues. It does bypass the lap bar switch so it appears to do what is is supposed to do, but doesn’t help my problem.

Does anyone have a good starting point for these issues?

Thanks,

Jason

heymccall

You no say how many hours on machine.
Since the only electric control on the primary hydraulics (travel, bucket, boom) is the pilot solenoid, I'd be hard leaning toward a voltage issue. Can you rig a volt meter to monitor voltage the whole time that it's running?

I've had issues where corrosion got the better of one of the 45amp fusible link cartridges, and I've also had a bad master shutoff switch.

What did the hydraulic filters look like last they was changed? Did you cut open the main spin on?

The other side of my brain leads toward the pump swash plate sticking.

Jason Hughes

No real sure on the hours. Showing 540 when I got it but hour meter wasn’t working so it is definitely higher than that. The filters looked good when I cut them open,only have 15 hours on it since changed.

I should be able rig up a volt meter while running. I guess directly at the battery or would somewhere else be better to monitor the voltage?

I’ll check the fuse cartridges for corrosion. I did blow a 45amp fuse at one point, but it’s been ok since and I didn’t notice any corrosion, but didn’t look real hard thinking back. What is the considered the master shutoff switch? The ignition switch is new and OEM so that should be good.

Thanks,
Jason

Jason Hughes

I seem to have fixed the problem with one of the relays. I already had 3 of them so I ended buying the others. I hate just throwing parts at things, but this has had so many electrical issues that had been rigged by previous owners so I just decided to start new with the relays.

I ran it hard for well over 30 minutes and it never had the issues again. Hopefully that is fixed.

However, it did want to bog under a heavy load. I’m not sure if I’m pushing it too hard, or I’m having an issue. It will bog backing up a hill trying to back drag. If I take a bit of the load off, it will rev back to normal and be fine. I’m sure this could be 20 different things and maybe nothing at all but I’ll keep running it and try to figure out if it’s normal.
Thanks,
Jason

Jason Hughes

Thanks! I’ll check that tonight. I did replace the water separator unit when I bought it, but there is a good chance it is full of debris already if the fuel system has been neglected as much as everything I’ve found so far.

Jason Hughes

Thanks! I’ll check that tonight. I did replace the water separator unit when I bought it, but there is a good chance it is full of debris already if the fuel system has been neglected as much as everything I’ve found so far.
I inspected the separator and it was clean and clear. I think I will inspect the fuel lines from the outlet on the tank all the way up to the injection pump. I found a post from heymccall explaining this.

It does seem to be a fuel starvation issue. I had the exact same symptoms years ago that I just remembered. A JD tractor would bog going uphill full speed mowing, but work fine all other times. Ended up being a piece of plastic floating around in the fuel tank and eventually working its way in the outlet hose. It only allowed 50% or so of fuel to flow out the outlet and only caused an issue at max load on the engine

It will probably be a week or so before I can get this inspected, but I’ll post my findings once I get to it.

Thanks for all the help so far.
Jason

Jason Hughes

The image shows the debris IN the inlet elbow and trapped, not in the collection bowl.
Sorry, I didn’t clarify that. I did check out the inlet and outlet and blew them out with compressed air. They were clear of debris. It does seem like a choke point so I’ll ditch it after I get the inline you mentioned in the other thread.

Jason Hughes

Well, I’ve determined my problems all along have been my aux hydraulics rather than electrical as far as the original issues. It didn’t dawn on me that I had changed from my grapple to the bucket after I changed all the relays. I needed to do dirt work so I just went to the bucket and never had the problem so I thought the relays fixed the issue. Yesterday I put the grapple back on to move some brush and the issue was back. It appears the aux hydraulics is building pressure and not releasing it. It causes the engine to run rough and then it won’t start back up until enough time has gone by that the pressure has leaked off and then I can use the machine again until it repeats.

It seems to only happen after I cycle the aux hydraulics using the grapple, so I guess that is a clue to my issue. Another thing I’ve noticed, is the pedal for the aux hydraulics doesn’t work in the rearward position. Feels like is isn’t connected, but it does work in the forward position. I haven’t investigated that yet either as all my other issues have raken priority.

I’ll look into the schematics for aux hydraulics and see what could be my issue and search here so see if someone has had this issue.

Jason Hughes

I’ve done a little bit of work on the machine since last update. I investigated the foot pedal to see why one side wasn’t working and it was because someone removed the hose. I went ahead and removed the other hose to getting a new one made but I thought I’d run it this way for while to eliminate the foot pedal being an issue. I ran the machine for about an hour and after I shut it done for a few minutes, it would not restart like the original symptoms. I let it sit for 15 minutes or so and started right back up.

It appears my aux hydraulics are building pressure and are causing these issues. Also the lower aux circuit has too much pressure on it to hook up the grapple, even after just starting the machine and moving it a few feet. Going the process in the manual to relieve the pressure does not work and I either have to let it sit for a while or just loosen the fitting to get it hooked up. It may be the reason it is bogging at high load as well. I will investigate more and see what I can find in the aux circuits. Maybe I’m having electrical issues with either the push buttons or the detent or 2/1 way switches. Like I said earlier, this thing has been an electrical nightmare so I’ll check the electrical as that should be fairly easy to see if there are issues.

Jason Hughes

I had time do some checking and unplugged the 2 connectors for the solenoid that controls the aux hydraulics. This released all the pressure and allows me to hook up the B side of the aux line even when the machine is running. I haven’t had a chance to see if this changed the bogging issue.

I’ll have to do some electrical diagnosing to see what is causing the solenoid to allow pressure to go to the B side.

Jason Hughes

I’ve done some extensive troubleshooting and finally figured out that it seems to be a wiring issue in the aux circuits. If I unhook the solenoid connections for the aux hyd, then I have no problems. I got some new hoses for the foot pedal and it works with no problems at all. As soon as I hoop up the solenoid, then the overpressure problem happens. I’ll have to take more time to trace the wiring to find the issue, but I guess it could be solenoid itself. I only have a grapple for now and the foot pedal works great for that so it may be a while before I get to the wiring on this issue.