• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Takeuchi TB145

Blstr88

Hey guys, been lurking here for a while trying to educate myself on excavators.

Long story short, we have a lot of acreage and work to do that I needed an excavator for...so instead of renting one and being rushed to get everything done I figured buy one, use it until everything is done, and then either keep it for use around the property or just resell it. Even at a loss I figured its cheaper than renting one for $1400/week.

Anyway, I finally picked up a 2005 Takeuchi TB145. Enclosed ROPS, hydraulic thumb, rubber tracks, 4200 hours.

Undercarriage and tracks are in great shape, engine bay looked clean and the only leak I could find was on the hydraulic thumb piston. I picked it up about a week ago now.

First thing I did was make my way into the backyard area to pull out a few old rotten stumps. The stumps came out super easy, but I did notice two things in my time in the seat that I did not notice when I was looking it over for purchase.

The blade does not have the power to lift the machine up...is that normal? Most videos/pictures Ive seen it looks like they have the ability to do that...this one goes up and down great, but when it hits the ground it does not lift the machine.

The bigger issue (and maybe this isnt even an issue...I don't really have anything to compare it to) is that the slew seems kind of weak. What I mean is, at one point I was kind of sideways on a hill and when I would slew the bucket uphill it really went very slow...downhill it obviously was fine, but it struggled to slew uphill. I also know you arent supposed to use the bucket to slew objects over...but I had a small pile of pine shavings/chicken poop in my way, I figured I would gentle just "slew" it over with the bucket before driving over it. I lowered the bucket to the pile and slewed over and the machine was unable to push it? Seemed odd a large machine like that couldn't push over a little compost/shavings pile...but are they just intentionally designed with low power so you cant bend/tweak the boom by slewing?

I did notice after this that the hydraulic fluid was low, I added a few gallons as per the manual and its now halfway between the L and H like it should be. I havent really had a chance to try it since doing that.

I also ordered a new hydraulic fluid filter - when that arrives I'll install it and give it a go.

I'm hoping this isn't a sign of imminent hydraulic pump failure? I did also pick up a fluid testing kit, so I will take a sample of the hydraulic fluid and mail that in for analysis. Is analysis the only way to tell really if its failing?

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
Its common practice to power both blade and swing-slew from the same circuit as you have issue with both it indicates that the problem is with that part of the circuit, if you have a hydraulic schematic we can maybe help some more.
Kind regards
Uffex

Blstr88

Good day
Its common practice to power both blade and swing-slew from the same circuit as you have issue with both it indicates that the problem is with that part of the circuit, if you have a hydraulic schematic we can maybe help some more.
Kind regards
Uffex

Ah I see. If the issue were with the hydraulic pump itself would it likely cause all functions to act slow/weak? Not just those two particular functions?

I'll see what I can dig up. I found the owners manual online easily but its kind of cumbersome to flip through on my computer. If I find the hydraulic schematic I'll post it up.

Blstr88

So there doesn't appear to be any schematic in the manual...I'll keep searching and see what I can find on the google.

Anyone have any clue where that might be on the interwebs?

Blstr88

Lets see if this work...

Attachments

• TB145_hydraulics 2.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Well done that appears at first glance to be the same as other machines from the Takeuchi stable, give us a short time we will make some suggestions to try and resolve the issue.
Kind regards
Uffex

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
We have assembled some information for you to check out the circuit, the illustrations may not match your machine exactly but the main points should be where shown. Important to measure the pressure as described come back with the results and we are sure to reach a conclusion.
Kind regards
Uffex

Attachments

• Takeuchi TB145 Slew & Dozer function.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 23

Blstr88

Good day
We have assembled some information for you to check out the circuit, the illustrations may not match your machine exactly but the main points should be where shown. Important to measure the pressure as described come back with the results and we are sure to reach a conclusion.
Kind regards
Uffex

Thanks! I'll look through that and try to figure it out. Ill need to pick up a pressure gauge and figure out exactly what Im doing so it might be a few days...but I'll report back with my findings or questions along the way. Thanks again.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day once more
Responding to your previouse comment regarding the hydraulic pump actually this is likely to be where the problem is at, your machine has a main pump with two outputs and a gear pump which is the component that is high on the suspect list.The gear pump provides power for swing and blade the main pump powers other functions. Before you condemn the pump check that we have diagnosed the problem correctly by checking pressures, its good you get your fluid sampled that often gets missed today.
Good luck & we look foward to reading the results.
Kind regards
Uffex

Blstr88

Good day once more
Responding to your previouse comment regarding the hydraulic pump actually this is likely to be where the problem is at, your machine has a main pump with two outputs and a gear pump which is the component that is high on the suspect list.The gear pump provides power for swing and blade the main pump powers other functions. Before you condemn the pump check that we have diagnosed the problem correctly by checking pressures, its good you get your fluid sampled that often gets missed today.
Good luck & we look foward to reading the results.
Kind regards
Uffex

I see...so that does make sense that those 2 functions are what is affected.

Can the gear pump be replaced individually? Or does that require replacing the entire hydraulic pump?

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Normally the gear pump can be renewed as a individual part, I believe that your pump has two sections with gears it may be that both sections come as a unit, do the checks we have suggested and take a close look at the pump see if you can see any information on the gear section as knowing what your options are should you need to buy one.
If you can take a good photo or photo's post the to us we may be able to identify the pump.
Kind regards
Uffex

uffex

Occupation
Admin
The attached may go some way to understanding what we believe you have.
KR
Uffex

Attachments

• Takeuchi Pump.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 18

Blstr88

These aren't the best shots but I snapped these the other day...if it stops down pouring I can go out and open up the bay a bit for a better picture, but heres these for now.

hydraulic pump_1.JPG hydraulic pump_2.JPG

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner

Blstr88

So...its been a busy month.

I found a reputable hydraulic shop not too far from me, they offered to look over the pump and give me a full quote for any needed repairs for free...so I pulled the hydraulic pump and dropped it off.

Just as uffex suspected - the smaller auxiliary gear pump is shot. The main piston pump is in good shape...he did say there was a part in there (I forget) that he'd recommend they replace while they're in there...but otherwise it seems ok.

Unfortunately...the shop is having trouble tracking down parts for the gear pump. Most other vendors/shops I contacted couldn't even find me the gear pump at all. The only price he's gotten for a replacement gear pump so far is $4300 (!!!!). Which is ridiculous since another shop quoted me $4750 for the ENTIRE pump assembly (piston pump + gear pump).

My question is this - my part number for the pump is UCHIDA AP2D25LV1RS7-929-1

I am in contact with a vendor from overseas who can provide a pump they claim is a direct replacement, however its a REXROTH AP2D28LV1RS7-856-0. From what I read Rexroth and Uchida are the same company...but the 25 vs 28 is obviously different. Anyone know if that will be a direct replacement? Looking at the photo of the new one it looks IDENTICAL to the one I removed...however I assume its whats inside the housing that counts.

This overseas vendor has quoted me less than 1/2 the price of the US vendor...so I am tempted to go for it, but if its not the right part Im obviously throwing money out the window.

Here are a few pictures, first 2 are my current pump and second 2 are what the overseas vendor provided:

tb145 data plate.JPG tb145 pump.JPG rexroth_1.jpg rexroth_2.jpg

Would you spend $4750 and stick with a US vendor? Or risk going with an overseas vendor for $2000?

Blstr88

So the overseas seller sent me this photo showing various measurements:

sizes.jpg

My pump is still at the shop...Im going to pick it up tomorrow and see if these meausrements all match up. I'm still unsure the difference between that one number in the part numbers...but if the measurements are correct I assume it will mount up and work correctly.

I found the pump in the US for $3900/shipped now as well...so the difference is now a little closer. I am waiting to hear back from the US vendor to make sure $3900 includes the ENTIRE pump assembly, and not just the variable piston part of the pump. It will do me no good if it's not the entire pump (piston + gear pumps).

beebelawn

Any luck with figuring out a pump? I have a hyundai with a AP2D25LV1RS7-935-1, having a tough time finding info on it also. My gear pump is fine but the main pump pistons are shot. Found several overseas....

heymccall

My search shows $3,951 for pump assy, including gear pump and regulator.

I priced it through Anderson Equipment. My Takeuchi prices are a little better thru Groff Tractor.
Includes everything on these 3 pages. Gear pump is available separately for $1,950.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190613-170942_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20190613-170942_Drive.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20190613-170959_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20190613-170959_Drive.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20190613-171019_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20190613-171019_Drive.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 4