• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

TAKEUCHI TB138FR Excavator losing Engine RPM when Digging

RIPMUP

Hi,

Could someone please help me out here, I have a 2012 Takeuchi TB138FR Cabin zero tail swing excavator with 74hrs on it. It’s Almost brand New.

Just wanted to know if it’s normal that when you’re digging through firm soil (not clay) using the 400mm digging bucket or scraping back for driveways using the mud bucket that the engine RPM drops significantly? It doesn’t Stall but you do hear it drop significantly.

I’m not sure if this is normal or if there is an issue with the engine or hydraulic system?

Can the hydraulic system or pressure be adjusted? As in how much is used for digging or how much is used for crawling??

Is there some type of valve (s) that can be adjusted?

I’m trying to determine if it’s a problem or if it’s how the machine operates normally under load.

Also its just had the 50hr service, new filters, new engine oil etc.

Takeuchi mechanics here don’t seem to want to help me out as the warranty has run out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Steve.

Last edited:

Delmer

Does is smoke any differently under load than it did when it was new(er)? Have you checked the air filter? engine oil?

RIPMUP

No smoke, it just had the 50hr service, new filters, new oil etc.

Last edited:

Delmer

I'm thinking maybe fuel pump or kink in fuel line?

Sounds good to me. You could tee into the fuel supply line right before the injection pump and run a line to a pressure/vacuum gauge in the cab so you can see what's happening when it loses speed. No smoke means lack of fuel to me, not overloading.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Did you purchase the machine from a Tak dealer or used from a 3rd party?

Lindsey97

my 2006 takeuchi tb135 does pull the engine rpm down a signifigant amount when digging with all three circuits. I have operated bigger excavators and they bog down too when under a heavy load.

check your fuel filters and look for fuel flow to the motor.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Ok, then that makes sense how the Tak people around you are holding to the "it's out of warranty" explanation. For their part, it would be. However, if you have a Tak dealer near you, I'd go to them face to face and tell them

"yes, I know it's not a warranty issue, but that's not what I'm here for, I'm just seeking an opinion. I'm new to this machine and know nothing about its characteristics. I just would like someone with experience with this machine to check it out and tell me if everything is normal or if there is a problem that needs addressed. After all, as a new Tak owner, I will be purchasing parts from you."

But then if the dealer is many miles from you, that may be more of a problem unless you transport the machine there. If you don't get it sorted out, we'll do what we can to help you out here, it's just very difficult with these types of questions without being right there with the machine to hear/see what it's doing.

RIPMUP

Ok, then that makes sense how the Tak people around you are holding to the "it's out of warranty" explanation. For their part, it would be. However, if you have a Tak dealer near you, I'd go to them face to face and tell them

"yes, I know it's not a warranty issue, but that's not what I'm here for, I'm just seeking an opinion. I'm new to this machine and know nothing about its characteristics. I just would like someone with experience with this machine to check it out and tell me if everything is normal or if there is a problem that needs addressed. After all, as a new Tak owner, I will be purchasing parts from you."

But then if the dealer is many miles from you, that may be more of a problem unless you transport the machine there. If you don't get it sorted out, we'll do what we can to help you out here, it's just very difficult with these types of questions without being right there with the machine to hear/see what it's doing.

Thanks for that. I've called the Tak dealer and all they seem to say to me is that they need to run diagnostics, which i understand. But I also told them to check it out when they serviced it on site and they didn't. They didn't want to tell me what i could do to find the problem if there even was a problem. I also asked them to try using the machine but they told me they dont "operate" machinery...

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Uggg, at which point you want to ask them "do you have a preferred wall that I can bang my head against?"

It's that kind of stuff that just drives me nuts.

RIPMUP

Uggg, at which point you want to ask them "do you have a preferred wall that I can bang my head against?"

It's that kind of stuff that just drives me nuts.

Yep, and when they tell you they will call you back and never do. Love it.

RIPMUP

my 2006 takeuchi tb135 does pull the engine rpm down a signifigant amount when digging with all three circuits. I have operated bigger excavators and they bog down too when under a heavy load.

check your fuel filters and look for fuel flow to the motor.

What do you mean by all 3 circuits? Using both sticks and curling?

Lindsey97

yes. curl the bucket, crowd the stick, and lift with the boom.

did you get it repaired? check your fuel tank for trash, pull the filter and turn on the key to check for fuel flow.

also check the fuel tank vent for blockage.

Last edited:

Lil' Puss

Did the engine seem to lug immediately after it was serviced? Those symptoms also sound like the early onset of diesel bugs. There is also the remote possibility that previous owners have taken up on the relief valve setting.

RIPMUP

Did the engine seem to lug immediately after it was serviced? Those symptoms also sound like the early onset of diesel bugs. There is also the remote possibility that previous owners have taken up on the relief valve setting.

How can the releif valve setting be set back to normal if they were changed?

RIPMUP

yes. curl the bucket, crowd the stick, and lift with the boom.

did you get it repaired? check your fuel tank for trash, pull the filter and turn on the key to check for fuel flow.

also check the fuel tank vent for blockage.

Will have to see if i can do it my self.

Lil' Puss

How can the releif valve setting be set back to normal if they were changed?

Not sure if you have a single or multi-stage pump or not but there should be taps on the discharge side of each stage where you can install a 5,000 psi pressure gauge to check pressure. Check your manual for pressure settings. I think 2,200 to 2,800 psig, maybe a little more.