• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Takeuchi Repair Issues

ktoperator

I have a Takeuchi TL150 that needs both travel motors and a hydraulic pump. It has about 1,500 hours on it, and this seems a little extreme with this few hours. However, I want to repair it, but wondering if anyone has had any luck rebuilding those motors or have had luck with any OEM parts? Any suggestions would be INCREDIBLY helpful.

ktoperator

According to the dealer where it's being repaired, the right travel motor failed, and with the shavings in the hydraulic system, the left motor failed and we need a new hydraulic pump.

lumberjack

It's already at the dealer, they'll likely use new OEM parts. Drive motor failure is rare with hours that low, but it happens. A drive motor going out can take out the pump and the debris from that can take out the other components in the system, like the other drive motor. Did they give you a ballpark on the cost of repairs?

How old is the machine?
What was the application?
Preventative maintenance followed?

ktoperator

It's a 2006. We purchased it in 2011 and we have no idea what the previous maintenance schedule was on the unit, but we have been following the recommended maintenance. It is in fairly heavy mud most of the time.

The ballpark on the repairs was $25k.

lumberjack

That sounds like full price on parts assuming they're the same as the tl250. The finals lost for $5k each and the drive pumps are $10k I think.

Sorry for your bad luck!

lumberjack

The finals list (through Mustang/Gehl) for ~$5250 and ~$5450, each. The cylinder block kit alone for the drive motors is $1371. The pumps assemblies are expensive at ~$9200 and ~$8740, the cylinder block kit is $1371. I was thinking the pumps were ~$10k combined.

I'm thinking I would go for rebuilding the pumps at the least, assuming they aren't too trashed. Let us know how it turns out.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
TK builds some great stuff however their parts prices border on ridiculous. At 25K I would consider parting it out and look for another machine, unless they do a great job of flushing the system, that is a lot of metal flowing through the machine. You are all ready over value on the machine for the repair, further failure due to the initial problems, would make this machine a bottomless money pit. I would at least look at getting out before you get in way too deep.

lumberjack

Solid advice. I certainly wouldn't get it fixed at a dealership. A loaded 06 TL150 would be worth mid thirties at most I would think. No high flow option available, maybe it would be worth closer to $30k max.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
25k in repairs... wow... I bought my Gehl ctl70 for less. Its a 07' w/ right on 1,000 hrs when I bought it. I'm with kss, time for another machine. I wonder if your insurance company would cover any of the costs? Seeing as the machine is pretty much totaled.

On A different note a friend bought a burnt deere 450g with the intent to repair it, turned out that it had a bad final drive in it as well, and it was assumed that the final was an indirect cause of the fire.

partsandservice

I have dealt with that exact same failure. Was able to build pumps had to replace one track motor/final assembly. Other motor checked out when dismantled. Propel hoses should be replaced, tank drained and cleaned, suction hoses flushed, charge pressure system cleaned including filter, case drain cleaned all the way to tank. Don't do it and it will happen again . Even though it is referred to as one pump it is actually two. So you maybe able to repair one side as they operate as two closed loop system. Keep in mind a failure n one loop can cause both loops to not operate because of charge press dump.. 25 k sounds with in reason with all new stuff. Still gotta be cleaned either way.

Cdesjardn1

Ktoporator I feel your pain. I have an 06 TL140. I lost the first planetary at 2000 hours than the other side 258 hours later. I first thought it was because my dealer put the rear sprockets on incorrectly (they are offset and only go on correctly 1 way ) when they changed the tracks at 1300 hours. After countless pone calls to my dealer and corporate somebody let it slip that Takeuchi had a bad supply of final drives from a third party vender. They stated as the machines came in they replaced both drives no questions asked. However because of my machines age, nobody would make good on the parts.
I did manage to get my dealer to sell the parts at cost because I'm still holding on to my old undercarriage parts that indicate they installed the sprockets on wrong.
I'm just wondering how many of us poor bastards who were dealt the same fate we can threaten a class action lawsuit.

lantraxco

I would ask the dealer politely to inquire the factory about some special dispensation, it's not uncommon to help on a deal like this even though it's out of warranty. When I worked at Deere we had several instances where the factory agreed that even though it was out of warranty the component that failed should not have failed. The deal generally was a third from the customer, a third from the dealer, and a third from the factory.

diga

I had a Hitachi Excavator new in 2013,put (860hrs) on it and at 18 months old it was showing signs of slew bearing wear, dealer just brushed me off, given that it was going to be a $10,000 repair.
As you can imagine I don't own a Hitachi anymore,some dealers don't "give a rats" about their customers !!