1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Takeuchi pins

Discussion in 'Excavators' started by barklee, Mar 15, 2010.

1. barklee

barklee Senior Member

I feel like a total degenerate asking this but here goes... I am trying to remove the main boom cylinder on my Takeuchi TB180 and i cannot get the pins out!!! On the top pin there is a sleeve welded to the boom with a bolt through it that (i assume) holds the pin in place. I removed that bolt and tried to beat the pin out with no luck. I tried heating the pin and still no luck. It wont even move a little bit
    On the bottom pin there is a plate that you remove that holds that pin in place. I removed it and tried to beat the pin out, (on this pin there is about 4" of pin that sticks out for the plate to catch the notch in the side of the pin. I got it to move the 4" either way but when the pin is even with the hole it stops and will not move any further.
    Is there something that i am missing here???? I have removed cylinders more than once and have never had a problem. Please share the secret, assuming there is one!!!
    Thank you

2. RobVG

RobVG Senior Member

17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
    I'm not sure what you're describing about the top pin (and the bottom pin too). A few pics would help.

On the bottom pin are you using a drift against the pin not just a hammer? If you (or someone else) beat on the end of the pin with a hammer, the end may have "mushroomed" out and is getting stuck in the bushing. You might not be able to see the flare, but grinding around the end of the pin might help.

3. barklee

barklee Senior Member

Here are the pics. I hope this helps

Attached Files:

4. roadrunner81

roadrunner81 Senior Member

Managing member KSR Excavating, LLC
    I'd think it should pop right out. maybe you could try jacking up the boom to take some weight off the pins. If that doesnt work you could make a pin pusher-outer with a small bottle jack.

5. RobVG

RobVG Senior Member

Well, from the looks of the top pin, someone has been beating on the pin directly with a sledge- it's probably flared. What does the other side look like?

You could try heating the bosses to expand their bores then get someone to hold a solid shaft smaller than the pin diameter and give it hell with a big sledge. Use large channel lock pliers to hold the shaft or weld a pipe to it for a handle.

It looks like you moved the bottom pin about 3/8" ? Beat it back and look at the other end- feel it. My guess is it was beaten like the top pin. If it's flared, grind it down and follow with a flat file. Use plenty of penetrating lube and try again with the hammer and drift.

Good Luck!

6. plantman.uk

plantman.uk Well-Known Member

excavator operator
    what is a takeuchi?.....is it an excavator?....i have never heard of them let alone seen one.....with a name like that i guess it must be a very small machine

7. barklee

barklee Senior Member

Its a 9-10 ton machine. They are alot of them in the US. I think they are under a different brand name in Europe????

8. Hanomag

Hanomag Member

Takeuchi pins are well known for seizing, Takeuchi use pins with a tight fit, and worse they don't use copper grease when the machine is assembled. Also the centres of the pins are soft so they mushroom very easily.

I have two possible fixs

First, Get another machine (excavator/forklift) and locate the end of the dipper (without the bucket) as hard as possible near the pin to be removed then use a sledgehammer/ heat and with a bit of luck!!!

Second. If as seems likely the pins are mushroomed then you can use a 9 inch angle grinder with very thin cutting discs (3 mm) to cut the pin either side of the cylinder, you will destroy any shims, but you should not damage the cylinder. You will need several discs, new pins and safety goggles!

One question? why do you need to remove the cylinder? if a reseal is needed only remove the rod pin leaving the barrel in place.

Regards

9. Canadian_digger

Canadian_digger Senior Member

You should not heat the pin. You should heat the bushing so it expands more than the pin, making it easyer for it to move.

10. stumpjumper83

stumpjumper83 Senior Member

Movin dirt
    air arc... but be carefull...

11. RobVG

RobVG Senior Member

There's a thread about "thermic lances" somewhere around here. Hope it doesnt come to that.

12. barklee

barklee Senior Member

Well, I got the bottom pin out!!!!!!! Took us two hours of beating with a sledge hammer and heating but we got it. We couldnt get the top pin out so we just pulled the ram out. Now to get the ram welded and rechromed throw some seals in and back in buisness. Thanks for the help

13. RobVG

RobVG Senior Member

Good Job barklee.

What size sledge did you use?

14. barklee

barklee Senior Member

only had a ten pounder in the shop so we made due!!! I couldnt even barely hold it my hands were so worn out.

15. RobVG

RobVG Senior Member

Yeah, I usually start out with the 10 then if that doesn't work, switch to the 12. If all esle fails, the 16 usually works. What's nice about the 16 is it doesn't bounce back, kinda like a dead blow hammer.

Glad you're on you're way to being done.:notworthy

16. HeyUvaVT

HeyUvaVT Senior Member

haha i usually jump straight to the 20lber that i have in the shop...good for fine tuning and adjustments!! :drinkup:Banghead

17. RobVG

RobVG Senior Member

hahaha.

The bigger the hammer the better the mechanic...:D:drinkup

18. xr4ticlone

xr4ticlone Well-Known Member

Trusted Adviser to the Construction World
    I bought a used TB180 and the pin on the side shift had seized & walked up.

The pin is super soft...deformed on me with the sledge. Trying to push it up from the bottom...just lifted the whole machine with the jack. : (

I don't have a torch, I can't center the pin to go down with the non tapered end, can't go up.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fjRwihs8Xmb1EWQf8 Link to pics

Is there a press that can push that up on the machine?

19. Bls repair

Bls repair Senior Member

Equipment operator,mechanic
    Similar post ,more ideas in Tractors loaders,backhoes