1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Takeuchi 135, first start of the day

Discussion in 'Compact Excavators' started by StPat, May 22, 2020 at 6:59 PM.

1. StPat

StPat Member

I have a Takeuchi 135, 2007, about 3500 hrs. At the start of every days operations the machine will not start unless I put the battery charger on it, set to 140 amps starting, machine then will start right up and run fine for the rest of the day, doesn't make any difference if the machine has been in the shop overnight or outside.I put a new battery in it, no change, glow plugs seem ok, so I'm thinking starter rebuild, anyone have more suggestions before I tear into the starting system?? I'm in Alaska but the machine is kept inside during the winter in a heated shop, so I don't think temperature is the problem.
    Thanks in advance, Patrick

2. heymccall

heymccall Senior Member

Will not rotate the engine?
    Rotates engine, but no smoke from exhaust?
    Rotates engine, white smoke from exhaust?

Clarify, please.

Are you using proper sequence to start?
    1/8 throttle.
    Rotate ignition switch CCW until glow lamp goes out.
    Rotate ignition to crank.
    Start engine.

3. elcheapo

elcheapo Active Member

Have you tried disconnecting the battery overnight ? Just in case something is draining the battery during the night.

4. StPat

StPat Member

Followed proper start sequence, has new battery, engine turns over fine no unusual smoke or vapors, seems like the engine is maybe turning over a little slow but starts and runs fine after initial high amperage shot. Thinking maybe armature has buildup on it not allowing starter to spin up on first start of the day. I will try to get a amperage reading at first start and compare it to subsequent startups. Thanks for reply, the mystery continues! Patrick

5. Canuck Digger

Canuck Digger Well-Known Member

Business Owner, Equipment Operator, Fishing Guide
    I'm not a mechanic by any means but, things that have helped me in the past for "hard" starting:
    plug the machine in overnight
    run thinner oil
    There are obviously things that are temperature related. Shouldn't be an issue when the temp perks up a little.

6. MarshallPowerGen

MarshallPowerGen Well-Known Member

Diesel & Generator Mechanic
    Check cables and clean connections, then see what you get for voltage drop or amperage while cranking. Also monitor your battery voltage that your alternator is charging properly and for any parasitic drain overnight.

7. BBoudreaux

BBoudreaux New Member

My machine acted very similar, I found one of the hoses at the engine mounted fuel filter damp looking, I cut about an inch off and reconnected, helped a lot, must have been getting some air in the system after sitting for a while.