• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Take the Ferry, he said. It will be quicker..........

skyking1

I can't think of a more awkward place to drive out from under the load at slow speed.
EqWLIu0U8AAwrtq

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/fe...ck-loses-its-load/PMM57L2645BVDFA5UHGOONEPFM/

excavator

Reach come loose? Have to wonder how far he drove before the ferry. News said they had the logs cleared in 3 hours but then the ramp had to be inspected. If I remember right there were over 100 cars still on the ferry.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
You never hear what actually went wrong but from where that trailer is sitting I have to wonder if it was a little off to the side and caught the leading edge of the ramp.

skyking1

I think he snagged the load and broke the wrap in the back, or just hooked the bunk and pulled out from under the logs. Either way the back wrap is gone.

JPV

It looks like the right trailer tires caught the curb, stopped it and it stripped the load. The wrappers have nothing to do with holding the load to the trailer, they only keep the logs from rolling off the top. The wrapper broke after the load came off. There is nothing holding the logs to the bunks but gravity and what is called a cutting edge that sticks up about an inch from the bunk. That is what pulls the trailer down the road, the reach only steers the trailer. The reach could have broke and steered the trailer to the right in this case, you can see it is definitely broke right in front of the car body, or it broke from hitting the ramp. It has a compensator on the front of the reach that allows the length of the reach to change as you go around a corner with a latch to lock it when the trailer is empty. If the force it takes to pull the trailer overcomes the friction that the load has between the logs and the bunk voila, stripped load. It usually happens when getting loaded when you have a partial load and have to go up a hill when the bark is slipping but the shovel is usually handy to reload it.

Last edited:

skyking1

That's a big ferry, so you don't figure on a bunch of ramp movement as the truck went onto the ramp. I've worked on smaller ferry facilities where a big truck causes all sorts of issues as it transitions from boat to ramp.

Plebeian

Kiwi-truckwit

Probably better than having to walk back to the office to tell the boss the truck and trailer went overboard during the middle of the water crossing.
My memory is the ferry loaders did not put enough chains on and once some chains had snapped; the trailer went overboard, dragging the truck too.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/8220...d-after-breaking-free-on-the-straitsman-ferry
From memory, there was no truck, only the b-train unit.
For many line haul companies, they will have tractor units on either side of the cook strait, which is a 3-4 hour sail and divides the 2 islands that make up NZ. They'll drop trailers at the terminal, then the trailers will be loaded when the ferry arrives.
Units will usually get 2 chains front, 2 rear. They're not usually tight, just chucked on. It's not until the crossing gets a little rough that the extra chains come out.