• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

tak tl150 wont start

bottlefed89

Well I've been trying forever to save some money to buy a Tak. Finally got one on Tuesday, I've been impressed with the machine's power, but it already let me down today.. I have the machine on a land clearing project, mainly just moving saw logs with it so far. Thismorning I used it for about an hour, then shut it down. Went back to grab it and move some thing half hr later and it won't start. It does have some oil leaking around the edges of the 'belly-pan', but still has plenty of engine oil... It cranks, just won't fire. Any suggestions on where to start?? Its an 04 if that matters....

cartzblown94z

Also be sure the small elec fuel pump is working, I can hear it ticking on my mustang with key on. How long are you cranking it to try starting too? Have you replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the prefilter on it?

bottlefed89

I checked, and there was power at the solenoid behind the pump, which I assume is the shut-off solenoid, as it visually and audibly moves when the key is turned on...?? I cleaned the little pre-filter, and then checked the primary filter - its new, clean, and full... Since it seemed to have fuel where it should, I loosened an injector line a touch and cranked. It had good pressure, and squirted each revolution.. As I had cranked it a few times, it was starting to crank a little slower, so I hooked up some jumper cables. Then I got a phone call, so i ended up leaving it hooked to my running pickup for about 20 min. When I came back it fired right up. I let it run for 10 min, then was going to drive it home to try to find the cause of the small oil leak I mentioned in my original post. I shut it off, and picked up all my stuff, took a couple more phone calls, etc. when I left to drive it home it has a new problem: Starts and runs, then 10-15 sec later it dies. It immediately flashes the 3rd light down, which is pink, and has 2 "drops"..?? then after a sec flashes the battery light as well (though I assume that one is just because at this point it has no alternator output), and the top 'warning' lights flashes in orange as well.. suggestions?? Ideas on where to find an affordable service manual??

phil_w

The 3rd lamp is the oil pressure and coolant level lamp. The first lamp is the engine emergency lamp and also flashes when the oil pressure and coolant level drops. When the first lamp flashes the engine will shut down in approx. 5 seconds.
Assuming your oil pressure is ok I would be checking the coolant level.

Regards............Phil

Delmer

Starts and runs, then 10-15 sec later it dies. It immediately flashes the 3rd light down,

Are you saying it flashes the lights after it dies, or immediately after you start it? If it flashes after it dies, that sounds normal, of course the oil pressure and voltage aren't right if the engine is dead. In that case I'd be looking at the fuel supply, pressure where there should be and no excessive vacuum on the suction side etc. etc. etc...

bottlefed89

The oil/water light I'd flashing immediately after it starts.... The batt light doesn't come on until after it dies, which I assume is normal... If there a way to test oil pressure sensor, or water sensor?? Where are the located??

cartzblown94z

There is a bypass harness on the bottom of the door you can plug in and it should run regardless of any lights. Mine was acting up with the coolant lit so I just bypassed it all since I check the fluids every time I use it and I'm the only operator. Mine would start and run 10 sec or so n die and that coolant light was flashing. Now that its bypassed the light might flash every 10th start or so but it won't turn off the machine and most the time it flashes for 5-10 min and goes away. Stupid stuff lol