1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tag-a- long Trailer ?

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by Nac, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Nac

Nac Senior Member

Construction
    I lovr thr grapple used this weekend to pull s tree out of the river.

2. imjustdave

imjustdave Well-Known Member

I would really love to hear some details of your truck. I have been seriously thinking about getting a hook lift and using a trailer to haul a larger Ex, or dozer, just like you are doing. Also do you have any issues with the boom sticking out past the end of the trailer? I have been told in the PNW that is a big ticket, but I haven't confermed yet.

Nice setup.... :)

3. earthscratcher

earthscratcher Senior Member

excavating contractor
  4. beans

beans New Member

i need feedback on a 12 ton backhoe pro with the inside tandem wheels under the bed. is this the wrong trailer to get. in other words to change atire you would have to get under trailer

5. backhoe1

backhoe1 Well-Known Member

I have one, had it 3 years now. great economy trailer!! It really isn't that big of a deal to crawl under to change a tire. I wish mine had 2 jacks on the front so that you could unhook without completely unloading, but other than that I can't think of anything I'd change. When I was looking for a trailer, I priced many that were in the $10K range, bought the backhoe pro for $5700 and it has hauled anything I've put on it.

6. shadow

shadow Well-Known Member

hey nac
    i was looking at a bws tilt trail and i was wonder when your deck is flat can the ramp hit the ground and have a machine run up the ramps to get on to the trailer.
    thanks joe

7. ctkiteboarding

ctkiteboarding Senior Member

looking at a bws as well nac,,,, how has yours held up?

also anyone have a bws with the air ramps ?

do they get in the way of the boom and stick when loaded thanks :usa

8. Nac

Nac Senior Member

Construction
    I have the short ramps on mine , they do tuch the ground but the angle is steeep. They do have a standard ramp to do what you want. But the tilt will hold 10,000 lbs at nose with out going down. I have not seen the air ramp in person but I do think there is enough room for the boom. There is a video of the air ramp trailer on BWS website.

9. ctkiteboarding

hey nac , you've had your air tilt awhile, how has it held up? any issues or constructive criticism? im going to look at a 25t bws air tilt with the ramp option in the am just wondering how you have made out thx

10. Nac

Nac Senior Member

Construction
    Is working goof for me. I have no complaints and would not change anything.

11. ctkiteboarding

thanks, thats great to hear ,im going to buy this one tomorrow , pics to follow

12. JBGASH

JBGASH Senior Member

Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
    I would like one to haul a 953C trackloader, but am wandering if it would be top heavy or how it would work? Anyone using a tag to move a loader of this size have comments good or bad. Thanks

13. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    I have moved my '53C on a tag most of it's life. I have a Betterbuilt with tandem 22.5K lb axles. It's a flat deck no tilt with "aftermarket" hydraulic ramps.
    This is similar to what I have - http://www.betterbuilttrailers.com/22 5k dual tandem pintle hitch.htm

The 953 rides perfectly on that trailer. I have a 24' flat with 5' dove so you can position the machine to balance the weight. A '53C will be around 32-35K lbs so it's well below the rated capacity of my trailer. In Alabama we are allowed 22.5K per axle on secondary State and county roads.

I have no experience with tilt trailers.

14. JBGASH

JBGASH Senior Member

Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
    Thanks CM1955 for the info. I will be purchasing one sound like it will work well. The betterbuilt model looks good.

15. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    The Betterbuilts are made in North Alabama. They are pretty good trailers, it's not a TrailKing but it's made locally and is better priced. I bought mine direct from the factory and was able to customize it.

16. Jim Dandy

Jim Dandy Well-Known Member

Nuccio, I am assuming your trailer does not have an air lift front axle. Has tire scrubbing been an issue? I am contemplating a new 25 ton tag but I keep hearing to stay away from triple axles because they are so hard on the front axle tires. I don't know if the dual wheels do better than the single wheels on triple axles. Did you buy this trailer from Hale?

17. shadow2

shadow2 Well-Known Member

hey nac what made u go with the short ramps vs the full air ramp. can u get other machine on the trailer like skid steers and lulls. why did u go tilt over flat deck

thanks joe

18. Nac

Nac Senior Member

Construction
    No it does not have the lift axle. the tires seem to be holding up fine. The short ramp is all they had in stock when I bought mine. I don't think they offer it that way any more it is no ramps or long ramps. Air ramps are good for a paver and roller. I like the combo of tilt beaver over straight tilt or beaver tail trailer.

19. gwhammy

gwhammy Senior Member

What's the heaviest loads anyone hauls on a pintle hitch? Can you safely haul 50,000 on the right pintle hitch trailer behind a dump truck?

20. clintm

clintm Senior Member

trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
    In my opinion you can't haul any thing over 25,000 pds safely on any pintle hitch.