• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

T590 compromised hydraulic system?

punchlist

so I have replaced the hydraulic cooling fan on my t590 I haven’t started it and don’t plan on it till I do some more research.when I took the oil cooler out and dumped it I found a few more of the gold colored flakes. Crewcheif said they came from the charge pump at what point do you call the system compromised and what is the process for repairing the system?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
My 2c. If you found flakes in the cooler it's time to be going deeper into the system rather than simply replacing a fan motor. Did you pull the fan motor apart to see what it looked like inside..? Is it likely that the fan motor is the symptom not the root cause..?

punchlist

Well the fan I feel is the start. I’m not seeing any other affects loss of power lifting turning ect and want to be proactive in this situation. I will be taking the fan motor apart didn’t have a chance this weekend power washing painting listing other needs on this machine. I’m trying to find out if there is definitive place that this flaking could be coming from. I have a good friend that is going to help with pump rebuild just don’t want to take up his time not having parts ect if I possibly can.

Nige

I commend you for being proactive. I would say that in the early stages of a pump failure, if that's what it is, you may not experience any performance-related issues. That's the best time to find the culprit.
I think the place to start would be to pull the fan motor apart and see if you can identify why it failed. If it is worn out and scored inside, and you find bronze flakes in it that don't belong there - that's telling you to look elsewhere because something else is failing.

Last edited:

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Agree 100% with Nige, it's like the old advertisement for Fram filters, I know they are not the most popular but the saying rings true! "Pay me now, or Pay me latter!" And usually the latter is much bigger that the NOW!

punchlist

So there is some scoring in the old pump very light, visible and to the touch. The score marks are not as deep as a hair.

punchlist

So I disassembled the motor today there Is some very light scouring both visible and to the touch. So I talked to a service manager for bobcat and he says there are 2 places that the gold color could come from the main gear pump or the two pumps that controll turning these are rotary piston pumps. So with that said we came up with the idea to run it for a few hours check the filters maybe change them and do the process again. He said the system is already (dirty)so see if it’s worse but at this point he wouldn’t necessarily write it off just yet as he sees the smaller particles regularly and wasn’t sure that they would even find it without tearing the entire system out

punchlist

How safe do you think that it would be to see what showed up in the hydraulic filters in a 5 or 10 hour test

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
To Clean out a dirty transmission system I hooked up a P563288 Donaldson Filter Housing ( Very small in size ) with there P564967 Five Micron synthetic filter . Tying into some pressured line with a hose to a Needle Valve , Out from the needle valve into the inlet port (3/8 NPT ) of the filter housing, and out of the Filter Housing into a small line into top of tank taped in and tywrapped for security. Jack machine tires off of ground on blocks of wood and in 2 hours time of turning tires and bucket up and down most of machine oil will have been through filter. I can send a copy of the Cat sample that shows in 2 hours 1/17th of dirt left in 6 micron range Only . Less than $ 80 dollars for the filter and housing. Simon.

Nige

A home-made dialysis machine - I like it .......

Either way you choose be sure to cut open the filter afterwards and pull out whatever particles you find. Then post photos with something like a ruler alongside them for scale.

Last edited:

punchlist

I wonder about running this setup through quick attach hydraulic fittings first preserving the lift curl and planetary drives

punchlist

So I should be golden I have auxiliary ports with the capabilities of 17 gpm flow at 3500 psi if the pumps are working at stated specks.