1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

swing gear oil level???

Discussion in 'Excavators' started by millercross3, Apr 30, 2013.

1. millercross3

millercross3 Well-Known Member

Traditional Farm/Ranching...Trucking/Construction
    On my JD 690B (or probably any excavator) I know how many quarts it takes, but what is the "full" level visually when you look into the fill hole? Half way up the big gear..three quarters...right at the top..anybody know??? Thank you

2. millercross3

What?!..Doesn't anybody check their oil level? Do I really have to drain it and measure out the 9 1/4 quarts just to answer my own question:eek: Daygommit anyways

3. Komatsu 150

Komatsu 150 Senior Member

Well I don't have a Deere so this really doesn't help. On our Komatsu there is a cute little picture in the owners manual of a ruler being stuck in the hole and a measurement mark you're supposed to fill to. Somewhere there is a spec. For your machine.

4. millercross3

Thanks Komatsu...I sure would have figured that of ALL the early JD excavators somebody had to of checked the oil. I mean at some point in time there might have been a slow leak and somebody had to add some oil. So apparently they didn't know what the full mark was either, so they would drain all the oil each time and put back 9 1/4 quarts that way they knew that is was full:cool: I guess I just assumed somebody would know.

5. flekr

flekr Member

hey miller, ever solve this?

6. millercross3

Hey flekr,
    Yes but not really. Got my manuals and all that jazz. Redrained and started to refill to the 8 or so quarts what the book said and I had oil running all over the housing at about 7 quarts...so I really don't know what to say. Maybe that's where the JD 690"BA" they weren't sure how much to put in it, so they lowballed the amount.