• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

swing away jib

harleyrider

hello
I have a grove swing away lattice jib and I believe it will fit a grove TMS-640. but I am not positive . the pin holes center-to-center. are 28". they are the same 28''. top-to-bottom. also. side-to-side. 28''. centers. can anyone tell me if this will fit a grove TMS-640
thank you

crane operator

A couple pictures would help. If I remember right, the 640's used a little shorter jib than the 700 series. I think like 29'- 51' telescoping with offset.

I think grove stamped a part number in the jibs of that era on one of the legs where it pins on, you may have to wire brush some paint off to read it. That and a phone call to a grove dealer and you would know for sure.

Vetech63

I used to inspect cranes years ago. I'm definitely no expert now days and have forgotten more than what I remember, isn't doing something like this a bit dangerous? Without the proper jib in place for that particular machine, wouldn't that effect the accuracy of the load chart ratings? Please inform me if I am wrong, because I never would have allowed that 25 years ago.

harleyrider

Vetech63. thank you for your response. and I agree with you 110%. that is why I am trying to make sure that it is the correct jib . the crane is 700 miles from my shop and the jib that is for sale is about 1500 miles from my shop I am trying to pair the 2. but I also want it to be the correct jib for the crane

Vetech63

Vetech63. thank you for your response. and I agree with you 110%. that is why I am trying to make sure that it is the correct jib . the crane is 700 miles from my shop and the jib that is for sale is about 1500 miles from my shop I am trying to pair the 2. but I also want it to be the correct jib for the crane
No problem HR. Just wanted to make you aware. I had a customer years and years ago that took a fly jib of a P&H Omega 20 and stuck it on a smaller Omega 18. If I remember right, the load chart ended up being 400+ lbs. over the load rating chart specs when I did a lift test. Needless to say, it didn't FLY:D and I couldn't pass it.

harleyrider

Vetech63 I am somewhat new to the crane business. I have been in the house moving business for the past 35years. I had a P&H t-300a. sold that. then bought a TMS-300. still have it. but with no electronics and the cost to put them in is a bit high, so I bought a TMS-640 , nice crane. , nice set up but the jib is missing .

crane operator

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but the electronics on the 640's can be problematic also. It depends what system is in it, and if its been upgraded or not. If its a maestro, you'll be okay (that's the upgrade). If its a pat 350, those have parts available, the problem ones are the 350 GW versions. If its a GW and you have display issues, no parts are available for the GW. You will have to go to a maestro, and thats a $8,000 deal. Or replace it all with cranesmart or lsi, and that's $10,000+.

The crane itself is a good crane though, just wanted to give you a heads up on the electronics.

I wouldn't buy the jib until you have the crane in your yard, so you can take your own measurements.

I realize if you've found one, its kind of tough to wait, and worry someone else is going to buy it and it slips away, like if its on a auction or something. If its just for sale private, I'd try to wait, there's not a lot of the 640's out there, and I don't think there would be a huge demand of guys buying them up.