• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

swench wrench?

earthscratcher

Occupation
excavating contractor
anybody ever use one,nothing a little heat and a trackhoe will not break lose,but never seen one before do they work has advertised 7000lbs on the 1 1/2 model is unreal?

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
Looks like a pretty cool tool. I will be waiting to here from users before buying one. Specifically I am thinking bottom roller bolts on crawler machines. I do have a hydraulic torque wrench but this thing looks like it may have its place!.....TIO

earthscratcher

Occupation
excavating contractor
after working on my last d6 tilt cylinder repack job, I used a torque multiplier that thing scares me a lot of energy wanting to go somewhere. this tool looks way safer, would be great for under carriage work if it does has it says.

dirty4fun

They are quite impressive to me what it will break loose, or tighten. I only have a 1/2" and a 3/4 " drive. I have a friend that has all of them up to the 1 1/2" drive. The 1 1/2" drive should have wheels it is a bear to handle I think the handle is 72" long, and it has a massive head. I first used one in the National Guard to take lug nuts off the old Army trucks we had.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
I have a 1" and it is super for when you need some portable power!!! although it does get heavy after the first couple of breakings LOL

One thing I have found is make sure you lube it if using it a lot... I ended up seizing mine during breaking about 50 1-1/2" bolts... had to rip it apart and unseize the main bushings, no damage... but had me worried for a bit as I needed to finish the job that day.

FSERVICE

they are all that & some!!! I have the 1 1/2 model & it is amazing what it will remove (or break) but I don't use it as much as the hydro wrench but its way cheaper than that also!! if you can justify buying it you will wonder how you ever got buy without it!!

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
So how would you guys compare the swenches to big pneumatic impact wrenches?

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
^^ Quieter ;)

But seriously if you have big air around pneumatics are great however if you don't have air or other source of power the swench is the cats meow :)

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
Quieter is very good.

I was just wondering... I've never used a swench.

(I live on hard, dry ground. I can't remember ever carrying a tool farther than two air hoses would reach.)

earthscratcher

Occupation
excavating contractor
well just tried out the 3/4 and 1 inch model,i was not disappointed I can not wait to get my hands on a1 1/4 and 1 1/2 inch unit.its so nice no hoses or hydraulic lines and no more fabricating big wrenches out of ar plate to push with the trackhoe. you just apply enough pressure for the wrench to click and wammo. I will report back on the big guns next.

Strachan

Thanks nige

It's great seeing kit used by guys all over the place really opens your eyes I wouldn't be without my slide sledge thanks to the guys on here

Ian

RBMcCloskey

Occupation
Heavy Construction Contractor
I bought my first one 40 years ago. Binder Machinery Co.'s mechanics had them. Anyhow, air compressors at the time where a big deal on service trucks and very expensive and not a lot of CFM.
After seeing a Binder mechanic breaking down a B-E 40-H for transport using one, I was sold, and found one at a surplus sale at Picatinny Arsenal, a friend Dad tipped me off. It was big bucks at $300. in 1975. I was 20 years old and green as grass.

I had a 1964 Ford F350 SRW Utility Body and was working out of 825 for S. J. Groves & Sons Co., unfortunately my new tool and age made me the heavy disassembly/assembly guy.

earthscratcher

Occupation
excavating contractor
IMG_6448.jpgputting on some bottom rollers, the 3/4 inch swench is pretty useful, the 1 inch is just a little to heavy plus the head is to big for those tight places.they have there place, really want a 1.5 inch drive for breaking tilt cylinder nuts.any body have one for sale??

CaptainAnalyzer

Occupation
Young business owner
I have a 3/4" set. More of a novelty now than anything else. I'd love to hang a 1-1/2" on the boom of the trucks crane. Just looks intimidating.