• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Swamp Loggers ?

diggerdave1958

Hey, i just got a email saying that "Swamp Loggers" new season is going to start this Friday April 23rd @9:00pm so i know what i am doing Friday night, making some popcorn and watching "Swamp Loggers" love that show and keep up the good work.

tippatone

Occupation
Future heavy equipment operator
I hear that they are filming in Georgia this season, is that true?

Heavyduty

Hey, i just got a email saying that "Swamp Loggers" new season is going to start this Friday April 23rd @9:00pm so i know what i am doing Friday night, making some popcorn and watching "Swamp Loggers" love that show and keep up the good work.

Yeah, I just saw the ad for the new season which starts tonite.:drinkup

diggerdave1958

Yes, it was a repeat last night but they said the "new" season of Swamp Loggers was going to start on April 23rd now i see they are saying April 27th at 10pm for the start ???

HeyUvaVT

saw the new one last night....great show!! they werent in GA as far as I could tell..but I dont know that for sure...pretty sure they were at that tract of land that bobby hated last season....

tippatone

Occupation
saw the new one last night....great show!! they werent in GA as far as I could tell..but I dont know that for sure...pretty sure they were at that tract of land that bobby hated last season....

That was a great show for sure! A friend of mine said they were in GA but I knew they Bobby was not leaving the swamps of NC, he seems to be a tarheel for life! That tract 421 is one hell of a site, it looked like the equipment could sink into the river at any moment.

shooterm

Occupation
Operator
Its a great show with no "he's doing it wrong" armchairing. I really enjoy the old school work ethic and do it yourself attitude. This even got me looking into a welding course during layoff because I need alittle help in this department:D.

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
I like the Swamp Loggers show, it's better than American Loggers, I watch both shows. I could do without the commercials in the American Loggers, you know Mack gave them a deal on those two new titans...just for the advertising....

Autocar

For sure it is a true to life work site,but I wonder how some of the fellows get away with a ball cap with a hard hat sitting on top of it. With everything being filmed I would pretty well make everyone abide to all saftey rules so something wouldn't come back and bite me in the butt ! ;)

instagator

I really wish that discovery would come out with all the series that you could buy. I enjoy watching the show and hope that it stays on. But I wonder if Bobby is really going to make his old fellar bucher another back up? Or if he will put someone on it? I know that if I had 2 fellar bunchers they would both be running....

tippatone

Occupation
I really wish that discovery would come out with all the series that you could buy. I enjoy watching the show and hope that it stays on. But I wonder if Bobby is really going to make his old fellar bucher another back up? Or if he will put someone on it? I know that if I had 2 fellar bunchers they would both be running....

If Bobby can get more tracts to cut i'm sure that he would put the second fellar buncher to use.

mitch504

I wonder if Bobby is really going to make his old fellar bucher another back up? Or if he will put someone on it? I know that if I had 2 fellar bunchers they would both be running....

The thing is, in decent conditions with good operator one buncher can stay ahead of the crew. They have been keeping up with three skidders with that one. There are fellows around here that have three crews but only two cutters, and some with two crews and two cutters but only one operator who will cut for one crew one day and the other tomorrow.

upbrakie

Swamp Loggers is a great show. I can tell that Bobby cares for his crew and his crew cares for him. They know that if they screw something up, they will man up to it. But if they do something above and beyond, Bobby will treat them right. That's the way to run a business.

Thanks for sharing with us, Bo! I hope business goes strong for you guys!

diggerdave1958

So, did anyone else watch "Swamp loggers" tonight ? Great show and i hope they keep it going next season ?? And i have a Question for anyone who may know: Do the loaders have saws on there heads ?? the skidders are draging full trees out and they are loading short logs on the trucks wonder where/how they are being cut ??

Occupation
Voglerllc.com
Hydraulic buck saws on the ground beside both loaders.

So, did anyone else watch "Swamp loggers" tonight ? Great show and i hope they keep it going next season ?? And i have a Question for anyone who may know: Do the loaders have saws on there heads ?? the skidders are draging full trees out and they are loading short logs on the trucks wonder where/how they are being cut ??

tippatone

Occupation

I watched it...I love the show it's great and I hope they keep it going. To the best of my knowledge it's basically three pieces of machinery....the stumper, which cut the trees, the skidder which drags them out to the deck and the loader which loads them on the trailers. I think the stumper is able to cut the trees to shorter logs....someone correct me if I am wrong.

mitch504

Hydraulic buck saws on the ground beside both loaders.
That's it exactly, the buck saw lays beside the loader and is connected by hoses. It has a frame to measure the logs against (because on doubledeck sawlogs most mills only give a 3" tolerance on length) and a large chainsaw bar(the one in the pictures is 42")

I watched it...I love the show it's great and I hope they keep it going. To the best of my knowledge it's basically three pieces of machinery....the stumper, which cut the trees, the skidder which drags them out to the deck and the loader which loads them on the trailers. I think the stumper is able to cut the trees to shorter logs....someone correct me if I am wrong.
What you're thinking about is a CTL (cut-to-length) harvester, which cuts the trees to log length in the woods. They are common in the northeastern US but rarer than hen's teeth in the southeast. I have worked in and around the timber industry for over twenty years and have only seen one and it was a demo.
The three step process you're describing is typical of a dry land logger here but swamp loggers also have shovel machines which are very similar to the track log loaders he uses on the deck. The shovels have several duties. When the cutter goes through the woods his first pass is made where they want the skidroad, and the first trees cut are layed down to make a road that the wheeled skidders can run on. The shovels help make this road and then when the cutter moves out away from it they move the trees back to the road so that the skidders can reach them cause if the skidder gets off the log road the shovel has to recover it. The clambunk skidder, (which is the big one that carries the logs above the rear axles instead of pulling them behind), can't pick up it's own logs so the shovel has to load it. The shovels are also constantly repairing and patching the skidroad as the logs move from the skidders dragging logs over them. Swamploggers will start pulling the logs from the back of the tract, (farthest from the deck) and as the operation gets closer to the deck the shovels pick up the back of the skidroad so those logs can get used.

Pictures of a bucksaw, also called a groundsaw. The chainsaw bar is housed in the vertical box on one end and is driven and lowered hydraulically from the loader cab.

Attachments

• 84486618.jpg
    84486618.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 2,112
  • 84486628.jpg
    84486628.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,820

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
i love this show, they need to just keep going and not have a season ending show...