• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Sutter retaining walls. Anyone experienced ?

dirtmonkey

Occupation
dozer monkey , self employed
I some customers requesting us to build some Sutter Walls. Not really what we do but it does work into the scheme of our business. So .. Does anyone have experience at these. Looks to be simple and self explanatory. :beatsme:drinkup

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
No experience with this type of retaining wall but looks interesting, I'd like to know more about it as well.

dirtmonkey

Occupation
Looks like ill be a guinea pig next week. Material should be here tomorrow. Nice people to deal with so far.
Did you see the little trail dozers ? Neat looking machines. Got the power and weight in a small package.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I did see the mini-dozers, thought it was an interesting combination but it looks like they market to the Forest Service, so it ties in.

Let us know how it goes.

Treetrunk

Looks like ill be a guinea pig next week. Material should be here tomorrow. Nice people to deal with so far.
Did you see the little trail dozers ? Neat looking machines. Got the power and weight in a small package.

I have been looking at the same system. Would be interesting to hear how it went and an idea of how much the sutter system cost.

Thanks!

dirtmonkey

Occupation
Hi ! Welcome to the forum !
The wall went well. They actually have two pictures of of the wall we built on their website now. Our customer was really happy. The Sutter Company was great to deal with !

We actually built three separate walls. It took my brother and myself 7 days total. Including excavating and backfill. It was slower than I had hoped but there is a learning curve. I'm sure we'll get faster the more we do. I think if it was a trail or some thing that you could not see the face of the wall it might go faster but , this was more decorative and you could see any screwup we made so , we took extra care to get every thing plum and square. There is a little forgiveness built into the system but keeping the H post and rebar plum and level as you use the 90 lb jack hammer to drive them in , IS A BITCH ! Well not really but it is slow. Like I said , if you're not going to see the face of the wall it may not be so bad but it will throw off your lumber cut and count. We learned the top rail cap is what every thing is measured on , for length and spacing , or you will be cutting and modifying at the end of the wall.
Overall we would definitely be willing to build more. It turned out very pretty ( yes , I said pretty ) and
the home owner loved it. It did cost more in time and labor but that's my fault as I said before , learning curve. We have certainly worked harder on other projects before. Now as cost , compared to other decorative retaining walls in my area , this is more expensive so you defiantly have to WANT it verses need it. Just my opinion.

Bulldog777

Occupation
Construction Manager / ex Mechanic
yes, you could make good money if you get more efficient, we use H section and treated pine sleepers here and do quite well out of them