• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Surface cutters/ drum cutters?

Sparffo

Occupation
Demolition contractor
HI guys!

Does anyone have any experience with these?
http://www.erkat.de/en/field/3/

I have put a bid on remowing a thin layer (12mm/½") of bitumen that has PAH in it.
It has been working as a water seal on a concrete floor, above the bitumen there is polyurethane blocks that are easy to remove.

But the question is, would a Drum cutter be a effective tool for removing this thin and sticky layer of PAH contaminated pitc, so i can get a rough clean concrete surface.

The base machine would be a BROKK 180 demolition robot, i have seen surface cutters on skid steers as well, but the robot is a lot better in tight places.

how big is the wear on the teeth on a drum cutter?

on the Erkat site they show a video when they demolish a old german bunker with a drum cutter, they say it cuts up to 40mm reinforcement rods :eek:

i also put this thread on http://www.demolitionforum.com/ but haven't got any answers yet, so now i'm asking you guys ;)

Turbo21835

As far as an effective tool, i guess it would do what you want it to do. Seems to me it would leave a fairly rough surface since you are free handing it. I would think an asphalt mill for a skid steer would be a better option. You can set your depth of cut with the skid steer mill and away you go.

As for teeth. I worked around a CMI milling machine for a while. We were using it for lime/cement stabilization. So we didnt go through a lot of teeth since we were in the dirt all day. We still made it a practice that every time we shut down for break, we would check the drum before going back to work. Its easier replacing 3-4 teeth at one time than it is to replace 50 at one time. This will also help you get the maximum amount out of each tooth. As far as how many you will go through in a day, no idea, depends on what your cutting, and the operator.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
As far as an effective tool, i guess it would do what you want it to do. Seems to me it would leave a fairly rough surface since you are free handing it. I would think an asphalt mill for a skid steer would be a better option. You can set your depth of cut with the skid steer mill and away you go.

QUOTE]

I have to agree 100%. I am sure a patch planer / mill would be a better option.
I think you will have problems trying to only take a thin layer with that head.

Sparffo

Occupation
Demolition contractor
I think you will have problems trying to only take a thin layer with that head.

I have been thinking about that also! I was planning some wheels and adjustment to it, so i could adjust the depth of the cut, othervise it won't work.
Does anybody know manufacturers of these asphalt cutters that have height adjustment? i know Bobcat has them, but i could imagine the price would be higher than a satelite... like the ones BROKK sells...

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
cutters

I have been thinking about that also! I was planning some wheels and adjustment to it, so i could adjust the depth of the cut, othervise it won't work.
Does anybody know manufacturers of these asphalt cutters that have height adjustment? i know Bobcat has them, but i could imagine the price would be higher than a satelite... like the ones BROKK sells...

Hi Sparffo, I know we have a very big "Hire" market in the UK but I dont know about other parts of the world. We seem to be able to "hire" just about anything from a cement mixer to a high reach demo machine and everything else in between :)( not always at a price we want to pay ):(
You talk about altering/adding to the cutter to give you some sort of control, which suggests to me you are quite limited in your options. Have you tried demo or surfacing contractors within your area, to see what they have that you might be able to beg, steal, borrow or even hire.

Sparffo

Occupation
Demolition contractor
Hi Sparffo, I know we have a very big "Hire" market in the UK but I dont know about other parts of the world. We seem to be able to "hire" just about anything from a cement mixer to a high reach demo machine and everything else in between :)( not always at a price we want to pay ):(
You talk about altering/adding to the cutter to give you some sort of control, which suggests to me you are quite limited in your options. Have you tried demo or surfacing contractors within your area, to see what they have that you might be able to beg, steal, borrow or even hire.

The machines that would be available here, to buy, rent or out source, would be to in effective for the big area that should be cut. The problem with this sticky stuff is that it messes up horizontally rotating cutters, and thats what is easy to come over.
The drum style that rotates "vertically" mixes the pitch with cut concrete and makes it less sticky, then its easyer on the cutter and the wacum cleaner that we use when collecting the estimated 45 tonnes of pitch :eek:
Also gravitation helps the drum style to keep clean!

usually i have the motto on my company, that if there is not machines available for the jobb, then we build them! :)

I have to admit that i'm quite jealous on you guys out there on the British isles! here in Finland it's almost impossible to rent a normal excavator that is heavyer than 2,5 tonnes :mad:
maybe has to do something with the hourly rating, here you can get a 20tonnes crawler excavator for 40€ :eek: and that is all thanks to EU and there farmer supports...
the farmers buy excavators with EU money, all for fun and charge what they think is enough:Banghead

erkat

Owner wanted to reduce the level of the concrete slab by 3 cm at some parts up to 10 cm at other parts, Drum Cutter was the perfect tool for the job