• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Sullivan Paletek compressor stalling

ahuggins6

I have a Sullivan 210 CFM with a JD4045 engine that runs great but stalls after it has run for a couple hours. I use it in sandblasting.

This problem began after I had to fix a disconnected drive coupling. I started the engine one last time to blow a porch off after a little soda blasting and the engine roared in a wide open state--much faster than when trying to build air. I could tell it sounded like it had no load so I shut it off and fixed the coupler problem (with some modifications, I should never have this problem again. The next time the spline hub comes loose on the air end shaft, it will definitely be intentional.)

After putting the coupling back together and getting the machine running again, it runs seemingly perfect. Until one day it stalled when I let off the deadman switch (I call it the trigger). Sometimes when I let off the trigger, the tank reaches full regulated pressure, and the throttle control cylinder moves to idle the engine down. once the engine has reached idle speed normally, the engine then slowly continues to idle down until stalling. Other times it reaches and sits at low idle just fine and slowly stalls when I press the trigger switch. I have noticed the last several times I've started the engine from cold, it takes several, several seconds before the engine busts off and runs. But after it has stalled it takes even longer to start.

I have changed the fuel filter and air filters. My thoughts are that the governor has developed problems as a result of running wide open and some parts will need to be replaced. The question is, are there any other possible causes and for a guy that is very mechanically inclined who tends to teach other mechanics tricks in the shop, is this something I can fix on my own?

ahuggins6

I'm going to say the air end is operating as it should. I've had the intake tube off while flipping the start/run valve to check the plunger valve. It works just like it should.

Delmer

I'd say fuel starvation until proven otherwise.

If it really takes a couple of hours then maybe a weak solenoid that is heating up? Either the shutoff inside the injection pump, or I don't know what you have special to an air compressor set up.

But the first thing to check is fuel pressure at the injection pump when it dies, or won't restart right away. If you have a lever transfer pump then you can feel it build up fuel pressure, or vacuum, just crack a line open on either side of the transfer pump and you'll figure it out.

Or, if you don't want to diagnose it first you could just tear the whole fuel system (everything up to the injection pump) apart and see what you find.

cutting edge

so that's gonna have a Deere 4024engine in it. Good luck finding the fuel system to tear it out,its all internal.

the good news is that you have a weak/failing fuel check valve. its located in the 90degree fitting at the rear of the cylinder head on the opposite side of the exhaust manifold.

You're losing supply pressure and starving the injectors.I'll find a parts pic and part number for you later today.

ahuggins6

Well, Cutting edge, the good news is I do have the 90* fitting with the glass check ball. My dad says he used to run these engines in the oil field rental business and every now and then a compressor would quit with these symptoms and he would crack that return fitting loose and let it leak until they finished the job, and when it came back to the shop they would take the IP to a rebuilder. but he doesn't know what they would do besided "rebuild it." might have only been resealing it, or replacing parts. He never asked what was wrong with it--just get it back on the machine and get to the next job.

So. The fitting is clean. Everything I read on that says if it's stopped up with something and you can't see thru the glass, then something has come apart in the IP and it needs to be rebuilt.........

Deeretracks

Occupation
Shop Foreman
Not necessarily true. I've had many complaints on old dozers & backhoes that die after an hour of running. I would find that fitting all plugged or the ball stuck. As a temp fix sometimes I'd use a punch to knock the ball out and they would run fine. That way the customer could replace it them self w/o another field call. Seldom did the pump need to be replaced.