• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Sullivan Air Compressor Won't Idle Down

Parts

We have a Sullivan 210 diesel compressor. Runs and makes air no problem there. Only issue is that it will sit at 2500 RPM all day long. Used to idle down. I took off the air cylinder and it does not leak. So I know that whatever is supposed to send air to the cylinder to send the engine into idle is not sending that air. Can this be repaired? What do I look for?

Vetech63

Follow your air cylinder lines backwards, they should lead to an unloaded valve. Make sure the air lines are intact with no holes or abrasions in them. Check the unloader valve also and make sure it isn’t hung up.

Parts

Thanks. I think it goes back and tee's somewhere and then eventually hits the unloader valve. I know the line is good and not damaged. I think the valve is threaded onto the side of the tank (can't remember). So should I remove it and try to lubricate and re-oring it?

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
We have a Sullivan 210 diesel compressor. Runs and makes air no problem there. Only issue is that it will sit at 2500 RPM all day long. Used to idle down. I took off the air cylinder and it does not leak. So I know that whatever is supposed to send air to the cylinder to send the engine into idle is not sending that air. Can this be repaired? What do I look for?

Those compressors are set to run at wide open throttle - until air pressure comes up and the activates the air cylinder. There must be a blockage or a leak in the plastic line leading to the air cylinder.

sawdustmaker

Im having the same issue with a Ingersoll Rand P175. How can i test the unloader valve? This one has a "Press for service air after warm up" button. I am guessing its supposed to open to the output at the set pressure (120~) and close below another set pressure (~110). But what is is supposed to do at warmup? Stay open so the compressor intake stays somewhat closed?

sawdustmaker

Those compressors are set to run at wide open throttle - until air pressure comes up and the activates the air cylinder. There must be a blockage or a leak in the plastic line leading to the air cylinder.

The unloader valve is fed by the same line as the discharge pressure so i didnt think about leaks causing this. That might be the problem. I know there's a leak behind the gauge.

sawdustmaker

I was mixed up, I was calling the regulator the unloader. I think the unloader is working correctly since the pressure stops climbing at 130.
I pulled off all the air lines before the regulator and resealed threads and changed the pressure switch (controls power to the gauges i think) and i still have leaks, and it still wont idle down. Going to chase it down some more.

sawdustmaker

I fixed mine. When i changed the regulator, the air line going to the idle control was not pushed in all the way.
I bench tested the old regulator and its not working right.
I still have the pressure switch port plugged so that may have been part of it.

It would not turn over without the pressure switch wired in. does anyone know what the function of the switch behind the pressure gauge is?

Im sure the problem was leaks and a faulty regulator.
Thanks again for the help. I didn't mean to highjack the thread.

Ive never messed with diesel compressors before. I bought two, one with a worn out motor and one with no compressor. I switched the compressor over to the unit with the good motor so i knew i may have caused some of the problems.
these units had been sitting for 5 years so i really dont know what else ill find. Tonight it comes up to pressure and goes to idle. Thanks again!

I know this is a Sullivan thread, the compressor im messing with is an Ingersol Rand P175wjdu skid mounted unit.

Last edited:

sawdustmaker

It would not turn over without the pressure switch wired in. does anyone know what the function of the switch behind the pressure gauge is?

I put the thing back together. I still dont understand the function of the "service air" button. Now it idles down without pushing the service air button. im guessing it doesnt open the unloader valve fully until the service air is called for