• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Sullair blowing oil

VoodooMojo

Occupation
Sr Technical Service Representative
yes FSERVICE...many drinks!!
For awhile I would run watchdog over a wagontrain of 6 1600cfm Sullairs....5 running and one shut down for servicing or repair.
We would set them up in a circle, wide open, supplying factory air for large manufacturing operations when their factory air source was being repaired or replaced with me right in the center.......my ears are still ringing... 25 years later........
The world will never know how man suffers for compressed air!

JRIC61

That is just a fitting according to the list,the only valves are no. 18 (check valve) no.23 (pressure relief) no.26 (drain) no.36 (blow down dump) no.46 (service valve)
in the next pic,trhere is another No.11 thermal bybass valve,allows hot oil to flow to coolerKIMG0192[1].jpg

VoodooMojo

Occupation
That is just a fitting according to the list,the only valves are no. 18 (check valve) no.23 (pressure relief) no.26 (drain) no.36 (blow down dump) no.46 (service valve)
in the next pic,trhere is another No.11 thermal bybass valve,allows hot oil to flow to coolerView attachment 127530

in this photo:
18 looks like a bolt
23 and 26 look like elbows
36 and 46 not to be found

VoodooMojo

Occupation
Leroi air-end.png

inspect the areas in the circles.
The large one more than likely is the valve in question.
It should keep the pressure in the receiver from blowing back through the air-end.
If it is not a valve then the smaller circle could contain an internal valve that checks this pressure.
Somewhere between the two areas there has to be a mechanical means of preventing the blow-back

Hardline

Occupation
Small business owner
You said you serviced your compressor a couple weeks ago? Could be key in this failure. What kind of oil did you install?

JRIC61

First off thank you,Voodoomojo,and sorry about the picture confusion,that was just to piont out no.46 which was not in the previous pic.hence the different numbers.
but I do appreciate your experience and help.I will check those areas for the valve in question.as for the next question from another member Hardline,The service I did was in response to the original problem,the speed control cable snapped and the compressor would only idle,so after repairing it,i checked the oil and found it down 2 1/2 gallons
so we added AW46 hydraulic oil.thats when the next problem kicked in the blowback,but i question it because if it was that low,yet still ran good,why then after ejecting the oil does it still not run right,perhaps the problem as voodoomojo sugested with the check valve was there all along and by adding oil it did what I suspect now it did a while back,because now im told,a while back the oil did blow all over and I was never told,therefore never bothered to check or add oil to the system,Now im thinking what ever caused the cable to snap could be a new problem,it snapped where it attaches internally at the intake control valve which as I read on controls the air suction at the compressor end.I guess i should check and clean all the lines and valves and see where I go from there. Thanks again for all thge help so far.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Maybe it's just the way I do things, but unless the manufacturer specs alternative oil I always use OEM oil in compressors. Yes, it tends to be a little more expensive than alternative oils from a local oil supplier, but at least I know for certain the correct oil is in the unit eliminating a possible problem. Sullair uses Sullair AWF oil in most of their units that I've worked on, and in their case AW doesn't denote "AW hydraulic oil", I think it stands for " Sullair All Weather" oil. Just my opinion. :)

Last edited:

Hardline

Occupation
Small business owner
The sullair oil is a 10wt lube. There are several different oils but the sullair awf is compatible with a aw32. The fact you have added the 46 could be too thick. It needs to be a quality fluid with an anti foam additive. Check your office and the scavGe tube. Would not hurt to install a new separator.

barklee

The oil the Sullair dealer told me to use was AW-32 hydraulic oil. That is what it was filled with. Willie, i agree with the manufacturers oil but the closest stocking dealer was about 60 miles away and i needed a quick way to fix and the closest parts store was autozone...... sorry to say! I got the new Sullair filter element and will replace this tomorrow. I hope this works and will update when we get sandblasting again.

barklee

Well....... when i was putting the lid back on the filter housing i broke two of those 1/4" clear hoses..... Does anyone have a diagram of this Sullair 185 DPQ? Im not sure which hose went were, they were so dry rotted they just snapped like twigs!

barklee

Sullair hooked me up with an electronic manual so if anyone needs one let me know....

JRIC61

Well I checked both ends,no valves,but it turns out no.13 in the picture is a check valve,took it out and tested it not working properly,
so I ordered it, will try that next.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
When it comes to compressor oil on our Sullairs on drill rigs we switched to a Mobil Rarus SHC 1026 synthetic oil and all our water/condensate issues went away, never to return. The OEM spec was a an AW32 or 46 hydraulic oil, go figure......

Last edited:

JRIC61

well Im back on with same problem with my Leroi air compressr,I have literally pulled it apart looking for a check valve,and found none.
I have included some pics,to show how i could push a stick thru the air end and see it clearly no check valve there,and on the opposite end again no check valve,i dont understand what holds the air back from returning back down thru,my sons theroy is maybe the oil level/ if but I dont really know.any help would be greatly appreciated..
its a Leroi Q185 air compressor rotary type w/a john deere PHONE SHOTS 223.jpgPHONE SHOTS 224.jpgPHONE SHOTS 225.jpgPHONE SHOTS 227.jpgPHONE SHOTS 232.jpgdiesel engine powering it.

barklee

well Im back on with same problem with my Leroi air compressr,I have literally pulled it apart looking for a check valve,and found none.
I have included some pics,to show how i could push a stick thru the air end and see it clearly no check valve there,and on the opposite end again no check valve,i dont understand what holds the air back from returning back down thru,my sons theroy is maybe the oil level/ if but I dont really know.any help would be greatly appreciated..
its a Leroi Q185 air compressor rotary type w/a john deere View attachment 128516View attachment 128517View attachment 128518View attachment 128519View attachment 128520diesel engine powering it.

I was thinking the same thing while i was changing the particulate filter in mine. I have no idea and didnt see where there was any check valve. I have the sullair manual and it isnt clear to me..... Maybe someone can explain?

rickster42

131cfm sullair

I have a 1996 Sullair 185 DPQ compressor that is having issues. We have been using it to sandblast with and it has been blowing oil into the moisture separator on the blast pot. Also it is blowing oil out of what i assume is some sort of bypasses, one is right above the compressor head on the left side and another near the back of the control panel. It has been cold so i was thinking maybe something is freezing but we have kept the hoods closed and it seems that everything is warn inside the machine. Also, we went to top off the compressor oil shortly after shutting down and there was a bit of pressure behind the oil filler plug. It will slowly overflow when removing the cap. Any ideas??

I am having this same problem with my compressor, but I can't find the part number on the separator element. Can anyone help me find a manual with the part number?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I am having this same problem with my compressor, but I can't find the part number on the separator element. Can anyone help me find a manual with the part number?

Just to help anyone who might want to try to help do you have some info on this compressor? Like make, model, s/n? There seem to be two different compressors being talked about in this thread so need to know what we are dealing with to be safe. Also might be good to say if it is an electric, gas or diesel powered compressor.