1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Sucking over the back roller

Discussion in 'Trucks' started by Scrub Puller, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Scrub Puller

Scrub Puller Senior Member

2. d9gdon

d9gdon Senior Member

Nice Autocar. A little overloaded unless you work in the oil patch and I'd say he does.

3. redneckracin

redneckracin Senior Member

Civil Engineer
    no no, he is checking the undercarriage! Some of the older fellas here at work talk about d6's getting sucked on over the tail roller while the truck is moving to aline it on the trailer back in the good old days.

4. JDOFMEMI

JDOFMEMI Senior Member

Nice find Scrub. I remember seeing those kind of loads gropwing up around the oil patch. Word is it is not overloaded if it fits and the tires still hold air.

5. Scrub Puller

Scrub Puller Senior Member

Yair . . . JDOFMEMI Looking back it's quite remarkable what we did with those (now) old trucks. The thing was they were slow. Depending on the truck there could be 24 ratios before 25 to 32mph differentials.

As some wise bloke said somewhere on this board lack of horsepower doesn't limit what you can do . . . it just limits the speed at which you can do it.

As an interesting aside I see a few Youtube videos of sucking on, it seems the boys still do it from time to time, I would have thought the legislators would have found some reason to ban it by now.

Cheers.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  6. rare ss

rare ss Senior Member

there's afew clips on youtube from Indo doing the same thing.. does it quite well even uses the blade to let the truck down on the front wheels nice and gentle.. I was waiting for the BANG

7. truckdoctor

truckdoctor Well-Known Member

mechanic
    There is a picture on Hanks Truck Pictures that shows the fellas in the Canada oilfields pulling a D5 or D6 over the tailroll. I'll see if I can find it.

8. heavylift

heavylift Senior Member

pulled a lot of broke down equipment onto a folding neck trailer.
    They still haul drill mud, pipe racks and pump jacks on the back of trucks.
    I have seen a truck running around with a backhoe, but it has a dovetail. It still has the winch on it, so he may do some of the pulling stuff onto the truck

9. heavylift

heavylift Senior Member

I drove an old Autocar in the late seventies, Nice truck for being 20 years old. It had a 4x5 tranny, plus what seemed like a 4 foot steering wheel.

10. truckdoctor

truckdoctor Well-Known Member

mechanic
  11. Bumpsteer

Bumpsteer Senior Member

Mechanical designer
  12. Dozerboy

Dozerboy Senior Member

Operator
    Hey they got their hard hats on and vests so thats got to be ok.