• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stump bucket

DirtWorx76

Occupation
Coal Miner, Bush Hogger.
I've done a little research on here and didnt find much..So I'm asking.

Ive got a few stumps to take out..One is BIG. I figure if I cut the roots out and work my way in I'll get it..But has anyone had any experience with Stump buckets? Im looking at Skid Pro and Blue Diamond Models.

thanks for any advice!

Flat Thunder Channel

No experience but I am skeptical of their capabilities on anything of good size. I vote stump grinder is the best / easiest solution. I have seen on the internet some large excavators with shear type heads, but with ripper teeth on them. I was pretty impressed with their performance.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
You need a good stumpgrinder for that. I had a 44hp diesel machine that would get rid of that stump in about an hour, maybe less if it was soft wood. About $200 would have been my price. Hard to beat that with any other method.
Jeff

Reuben Frazier

If that stumps truly 4’ wide all your going to do is **** it off with a skid steer lol
Personally I wouldn’t even think about tackling that job but with enough beer anythings doable.. Your steers going to hate ya though!!

ACBJohn

Occupation
Engineer
I have to agree. I have a 15 ton excavator and have absolutely pushed it to the limits with a white oak stump that was 5-6' across. The tree was about 18" in diameter. I can't imagine a stump bucket being able to get deep enough, and sever all of the roots, let alone get in a position to remove it from the hole. Now, having said that, 6" trees and smaller? It would probably work well.

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
D2E3394B-CFB0-4468-8C6D-F097FFD1986E.jpeg B71BC4DC-8428-4BD6-9A33-76CECAF2F4EE.jpeg Had a guy call call me to fix his skid steer after trying to take out a big stump. This is what happened

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I have often questioned those stump buckets. I guess used on small trees it would work, but looks like a sure way to jack something up when you take on more stump than you should. Not to mention making a huge mess in the process.