• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

stuck pin

Rustyratchet

So I need a little help with a stuck pi on a tb 175 excavator. It goes through the boom and attaches the two main cylinders together. I broke in two just inside the boss on one side. I can't seem to get the rest of it to budge one bit. I have heated the boss to almost red no luck. Heated pin no luck. I'm hitting the stub left sticking out with a ten pound sledge hard. Can't get it to even try to move.I'm thinking about welding a frame to it aND try pushing it with a 20 ton bottle jack. I'm not sure if this will hurt the boom or not? I don't have much in way of tooling no thermal Lance or Porta power. I have soaked it real well during and after heating with p.b. blaster. I really need to get this out and new one in so I'm seeing what you guys have for tricks to use. If I have to get a Porta power what's a good one to invest in? Thanks so much for any advise you may have. Here are some pics of the problem

Knepptune

I have a homemade 30lb sledge I like for stuck pins. None of the other guys can swing it tho.

another trick that works sometimes is if you can weld a nut or something to the pin to get a 1" impact on it. If you can get that pin to spin you can drive it out.

Delmer

Keep trying on the pics.

A couple of ideas, use what you want.

Beating on it might get it loose, but you'll have to grind down that mushroomed head to get it to go through.

Almost as good as a thermal lance (ok, not as quick) is drilling a pilot hole through the pin and either welding it back up, or blowing just a little through with a cutting torch, to heat it up hot enough and fast enough to "reset" the structure of the steel so that when it cools and shrinks it will tap right out. A carbide (masonry) bit that's sharpened up will drill hard steel, maybe not the best, but cheap and readily available.

The frame and bottle jack is almost as convenient as a portapower. If possible weld up the frame so that it can be bolted or hung from the boom and ALSO press close to the other side of the boss that the pin pushes against. 30 ton hydraulic jacks are real common, 40 ton aren't too uncommon...

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
Did you try burning in to it with a cutting torch? If you can get a hole burnt through the center it will take the stress off of it a make it shrink and you can burn it out .take your time a burn a little and than let it cool down .Than burn and cool again till you get it out .If you heat it and hit with hammer the end will mushroom in the bore an lock it up.

Last edited:

Delmer

The piece to remove is about one foot long I'm not sure I could get all the way with my torch.

And you might not want to either. If you're willing and/or desperate, an oxygen lance is nothing more than a piece of black iron pipe with oxygen running through it, just start it with the cutting torch and push right through. Wouldn't take that much to rig up a fixture to "aim" the pipe so you can stand a safe distance off to the side and control the push. Never got that desperate myself, so take it for what it's worth.

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
They make extra long cutting torch tips .Talk to you welding supplier .You could also call in mobile service to cut it out if you don't have the right stuff for the job .

partsandservice

I have dealt with this situation many times on log loaders. If the pin broke off in the boss the boss is likely egged out and even if the pin comes out the new pin will break again. So in that case you must consider clotting the boss out and replacing it as well. I have never tried this myself but saw an old timer pull this off. He built a forge of sorts on the side of the boom rigged an air hose to a copper pipe hooked to the forge to feed it air , after 4 hours or so grease started coming out of the other side and he just pulled the pin out.

FSERVICE

stop messing round with it take the air arc & burn the pin out & start over!! the bore is more than likely trashed, so you are either #1 going to remove pin put new pin in the old wore out hole so you can do it AGAIN in a few hours!!! OR #2 you are going to remove pin install/line bore the holes then install new pin & be good for awhile if the grease gun will get used!!!