• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stuck Outriggers

Guys,
I got an old Lorain LRT275D from work to use around the property. Went to go move it today and the outriggers will not move at all. Extend or Retract. I've spent the better part of the morning messing with it. List of what I have checked -

Master switch is working. Have voltage to it and it send voltage out. At this point I have the supply and sender wires tied together since this is a momentary switch and I'm troubleshooting solo.

Directional valve under the deck has voltage to one side. Swapped the wires and the other coil I could hear it engage, so that appears to be working. I put wires back where they should be.

Checked fuese, all are good. Its the old glass tube style fuses.

Odd thing is I only get 10-11V at the fuses or any of contact points. This has been this way since I got the crane, and everything has worked just fine till today. Alternator is making 13V.

Checked voltage to the 6 outrigger switches. (1 ea for each corner, 1 ea for each end for extend or retract the booms). All have voltage to them but ALL show no voltage out. Each switch has 6 posts. I would expect to see 12v on the center posts, and 12v on either the top or bottom depending on switch position. No matter what I do I do not get voltage on the other posts. I can see 1 bad switch but not all 6 at the same time. Ideas?

I am trying to track down a service manual on this old crane but haven't had much luck.

If there's something else to look at, I'm open to ideas. Mind you I am not an equipment mechanic. I am a Millwright, so mechanically competent yes, but not specifically on these systems......

crane operator

Are you sure you have hydraulic flow for the outriggers? Outriggers are generally on a different sector of the pump, than your other functions. You can lose that sector of the pumps. Some cranes drive the outriggers off the power steering pump, but I don't know if the lorains are that way.

If you have hyd. flow, you should be able to jump wire the solenoids and get them to work.

Natman

My intermittent issue with getting one outrigger beam to retract, turned out to be a $18.00 new switch. National wanted $56.00 for it (just a guess, probably more) but I was able to make out the part number stamped out, google it, and get it two days later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe I have flow to the outrigger circuit. Tate pump serves the outriggers, swing and steering. Swing and steering work fine.

Now this baffles me. I also thought of just jumpering the solenoids since I'm really in a bind and need to move this thing. Pulled off all the signal wires and all 6 solenoids on the rear are grounded out. I have continuity to ground on both terminals on all of the solenoids. Haven't checked the front yet but how on earth would all 6 solenoids fry at once? No continuity to ground on the signal wires.

crane operator

Do your solenoids have the little button in the middle of them? If you have the directional going the right way, you can manually (takes a really hard push) shove them in and activate that control.

I think the directional in the center of the machine, I have tried it both directions. Outriggers still won't go up or down. I pulled all the wires off all the solenoids in the back. I can apply 12v directly from the battery and eliminate the factory wiring harness all together. I hear the solenoid click, however running it still won't move the outriggers either direction.

Attachments

• 20230806_143706.jpg
    20230806_143706.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
  • 20230806_143713.jpg
    20230806_143713.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20

CraneMechanic73

Terex/Lorains…… I find loss of all outrigger function tends to be the priority valve. Follow your supply line back. Usually located near the extend/retract valve on the frame rail. Low voltage or bad coil! Cant get function til that valve is energized.

Last edited:
Other than the blocks of valves on the front and rear all I can find is a single mid mounted valve with 2 actuators. It sure looks like those lines tie into the front and rear valve blocks. Looks identical to the 3 valve block I have pictured only its 1 valve. Same situation as the valves on the rear, when applying power I can hear the solenoid click (engine not running). But I am still not getting any movement.

How would I clean the collector ring? I assume thats in the turret? Sorry not a crane mechanic so I'm struggling a little.

crane operator

So the way it works is- any function of outriggers requires two signal activations. One to the directional (up/ down in jacks and in/ out for the beams) plus a activation of the particular cylinder you want to move.

The directional is the one mounted in the middle, the cylinder selection is the banks in the front and the rear.

If you are jumper wiring, you should be able to activate the directional and a cylinder at the same time- no matter what the collection ring issues are.

Nothing will happen unless you have two activations going on.

crane operator

Think of the directional as being extend and retract for any cylinder, and then the front and rear banks should be the selector for which cylinder you want to do that function.

Directional goes to "extend" and then you chose (for example from the front bank) you could choose left front jack, left front beam, right front jack and right front beam.

Ok. So the mid mounted valve would be the directional valve. Whats the point of having 2 solenoids on each valve at the front or rear? I assume with the center mounted valve there are 2 solenoids to reverse flow. I assumed the same at the front and rear blocks. So I assumed the center one was more of a pilot valve or safety valve. I assumed you would energize 1 solenoid on the rear bank for up, or the other solenoid for down, on the valve for the left rear cylinder for example. Does this make sense? Am I looking at it wrong?

So, while attempting to get the rear to lift with my jumper off the battery, the crane was supplying voltage to the fwd solenoid on the mid mounted valve. I attempted voltage to the fwd solenoid on the rt rear, got no response, then attempted on the aft solenoid and still no response. I even ran the Engine RPMs up to increase hydraulic flow and make sure the air system stayed topped off. Nothing.

crane operator

I don't know what the double solenoids are on the front and rear. Sorry, I'm most familiar with grove and link belt and neither one use double solenoids.

I've got a buddy that's got a terex, (which is simply a later "lorain") I'll talk to him tomorrow and see if his is like yours and how that works.

CraneMechanic73

LRT230 Schematics......pretty close to what you have

Attachments

• 7031410.pdf
    214 KB · Views: 10
  • 7031441.PDF
    285.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 7031397.PDF
    327.5 KB · Views: 4
CraneMechanic thank you I will look at those this afternoon and see if those apply. Thankfully it won't be 105 degrees today.

Crane Operator thanks for all the insight it is much appreciated.