• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stuck in mud!

terex 20B

One reply said to chain a log across the tracks, under the hitch and then back out. This works pretty good, but you have to make sure you are either out of mud when the log comes up under the front of the cat so you can unhook it, or else use a thin enough log that it will break. We cabled a log across the back of the tracks on an 82-20 terex, and could'nt get to the cables,and didn't have enough horsepower to break the log. Needless to say I was in mud to my eyeballs with a chainsaw!!!!

swampdog

One reply said to chain a log across the tracks, under the hitch and then back out. This works pretty good, but you have to make sure you are either out of mud when the log comes up under the front of the cat so you can unhook it, or else use a thin enough log that it will break. We cabled a log across the back of the tracks on an 82-20 terex, and could'nt get to the cables,and didn't have enough horsepower to break the log. Needless to say I was in mud to my eyeballs with a chainsaw!!!!

Good point - I can see where that could happen with a dozer. With a track loader, that's not as big a problem since it's possible to raise the bucket arms for clearance. The log trick usually works great!

Cat is ALL

Best way I know of is to bring in a hoe. Hydraulics always beat traction, and instead of a chain, cable is much stronger. If you bring a hoe, you can make a ramp for you to get unstuck, you can control which direction you'd like to pull, and you have the most pulling power. Beats shoveling, and hammering logs under. Thats my opinion anyway. Everyone who has worked on a machine for more then a few years has gotten stuck and if they haven't they've never worked in a place they could.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
If you only have this loader and a small excavator how would you go about getting this unstuck?

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
Is 1/2 chain strong enough for attempted recovery maneuvers while working with machines this big?

JDOFMEMI

I do not reccomend chain, but I also understand using what you have.

1 chain in a straight pull is a huge mistake. When all I have is a chain, I always loop it, and as many times as I can.

I have recovered a badly stuck 938 loader with a 320 excavator and stood the excavator on its nose doing it. That was a lot of pull, and all with 3/8 chain, as that is what I had available. The trick was I made 4 loops, so there were 8 legs of chain sharing the load. It was only grade 70 chain, so it is rated at around 4700#, but 8 loops is 8 times as much. You have to be sure not to have any of it in a bind, or it will stress one leg more than the others, reducing the advantage.

The other thing is to be sure of the strength of what you are hooking to. The strongest chain or cable is worthless if hooked to something that is not as strong. I have seen many accidents because of that.

JDOFMEMI

This D-6 was recovered with a double loop[ed 3/4" choker. That was after breaking a doubled up 5/8" choker, which was what was available.

With a chain, I would have wanted no less than a triple wrapped (6 legs) of 1/2" chain to pull as hard as it took to get this out.

IMG-20120425-00050.jpg