• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stuck hydraulic filter housing on Case 580 CK B

Glen Weldon

When I got the machine (6700+ hours) the hex on the bottom of the hydraulic filter housing was toast. I tried using a strap wrench, but no go. Anybody have a trick or tip to getting it out? Prefer not to use heat since the housing appears to be aluminum AND all I have is a small propane torch. I'm thinking about purchasing a pipe wrench that will fit the housing. Thinking about it, I didn't try a pipe wrench on the rounded hex. I have one that size.

Any help, tips tricks would be appreciated. Seems to take a lot of work to keep a beat-up, neglected hoe running. I've got the typical power-shuttle issues as well, but for now, it moves to where I have to dig and I use the FEL on my tractor to move what I've dug.

Thanks for reading...

Tinkerer

Punch a large screwdriver all the way through it about two inches below the top of it. No higher than that !!
If you go higher you could damage the filter bracket.
If you go through the lower part of the filter the screwdriver will most likely tear the filter.
I have removed a LOT of filters this way. Caterpillar filters are terrible for being over tightened and stuck.

catskinner 10

Occupation
Retired Operator/Master Mechanic 55Yr Member IUOE
Punch a large screwdriver all the way through it about two inches below the top of it. No higher than that !!
If you go higher you could damage the filter bracket.
If you go through the lower part of the filter the screwdriver will most likely tear the filter.
I have removed a LOT of filters this way. Caterpillar filters are terrible for being over tightened and stuck.

That usually works, but in this case it's actually a aluminum canister type with element inside
That screws on.
Has a embossed hex molded in the bottom that rounds off if proper 6pt socket is not used.
Tom

petepilot

if you have a harbor freight store near you they sell a cheap elec heat gun that will heat up to 1200 deg. no open flame try one of those theirs is blue in color heat the thread area up good let it cool then do it again a good strap wrench should then get it loose

Glen Weldon

Thank you for all of the replies. I ordered a chain wrench today and it should be here in time for me to try it out this weekend. I'll take pictures and post the results here.

Glen

Glen Weldon

if you have a harbor freight store near you they sell a cheap elec heat gun that will heat up to 1200 deg. no open flame try one of those theirs is blue in color heat the thread area up good let it cool then do it again a good strap wrench should then get it loose
If the chain wrench won't budge it, I'll get one of these and add it to the mix! Thank you.

hosspuller

What was a no go with the strap wrench ? An old trick I was shown was to wrap coarse emery cloth on the metal with the strap wrench on the cloth. The grip improvement is tremendous.

crane operator

Some strap wrenches aren't any good to begin with, I have had better luck with this style, that you can then put a ratchet on, it works really good in a tight space

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-60200-Heavy-Filter-Wrench/dp/B007QVB71C

lisle-car-air-filters-lis60200-64_400_compressed.jpg

I never have any luck with the style below, they always seem to slip.

61NCbpm2vvL._SX679_.jpg

What hosspuller said is right on, anything to get a little grip. In a pinch in the field I shoved a stick under the strap, wasn't pretty but it worked. Bit in just enough to get it to move.

Tenwheeler

Ever used the belt from your pants out in the field? Watched an old fart do that years ago. Around the filter and the around a 1/2" deep well socket with a pull handle. I thank both ends of the belt hang out from the socket. That worked after a store bought wrench did not. I am not sure I explained or recall that correctly but I have fumbled around and repeated it a few times.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Take the filter housing off the backhoe put in a vise upside down and put penetrating oil where canister screws into head and let set for a bit then use you chain wrench, you might have to hit with a hammer to jar it loose.

Glen Weldon

Chain wrench worked like a champ. Had the housing off in 5 seconds or less. Filter was quite nasty and there was black smutty stuff in the bottom of the housing. Cleaned the housing and installed a new filter. Definite improvement in the snappyness of the hydraulics.