• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stuck/"Frozen" Pin

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
No compression at all? Guess there was a reason I wasn't a physicist. Now I wonder how much momentary pressure there is in a 12 ton jack already maxed out when hit by a 16 lb sledge. True enough also that 12 tons is not a lot of pressure in the press world.

mitch504

That's a good question. It's beyond my physics and calculus skills. It brings up a good point though, I wonder if there is a relief valve in a jack, and what it is set at? I know a 16 lb hammer won't open it on a 20-ton jack, if it even has one.

lantraxco

Hydraulic fluid IS compressible, and the metal parts containing the fluid will expand under pressure spikes. For all practical purposes liquids are not compressible and since the amount they actually do compress is usually negligible, it's ignored most of the time. You do lose impact force through the jack and it's a good way to see up close and personal what happens when a hydraulic cylinder ruptures. Mind you it may be the last thing you ever see.

FSERVICE

just a idea that no one has thought of... is it possible that the pin is bent? maybe why it wont come out... look real close to c if there is a roll pin type retainer in the end of that pin;) I am gonna say that you just don't have enough press power if you are sure you have no retainer holding it in.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I know, this will sound strange. but Ive driven out some large scraper and dozer pins with a jackhammer. weld a piece of angle to the pin boss to support the "punch" and give it a good rap.

Tinkerer

I know, this will sound strange. but Ive driven out some large scraper and dozer pins with a jackhammer. weld a piece of angle to the pin boss to support the "punch" and give it a good rap.

Not strange at all. I have used a chipping hammer to remove steering wheels. The only difference from rrr's situation is that a steering wheel has to be supported or you would hammer the whole steering assembly. A picture of his pin would sure help give everyone a better idea of what he is doing.

Last edited by a moderator:

overworked

Would love to see pictures, he said cyl slides on pin, what type of retainer did he remove from pin, is there a bolt on the inside? Does pin come out other direction, stepped?

ed590

liquid propane, take the regulator off the hose and freeze it then smack it. CAUSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no open flames or heat on the work area things go boom if there is

ChrisC

Sure cut oxy lance. Blast out the Ctr of the pin, then we usually stuff the garden hose or the water filled fire extinguisher in the new found center hole. The shock from rapid cooling along with a slight shrinkage to to the big hole in the center they usually come out like butter after there fully cooled.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Sure would like an update on how the pin came out. Always good to hear what finally did or did not work.

Check Break

This is probably too late but I've had the same problem with an earlier model. I took the stick apart and put it in a shop press. It took a lot of pressure to move the pin but it came out with a bang. Barring use of a press, the only other way I've seen it done is with a piercing lance. You have to be careful to keep the rod in the center of the pin or it will blow through the side and damage the pin bore on the cylinder. The shop press method isn't easy and takes time, but will work.

rrrr

Sorry for not getting back to report. And thank you all for the advice. I wound up cutting the pin with a torch. I had just enough room to cut it, then beat both ends out. Turns out the new pin was just as tight, and i had to grind it down to get it in. :beatsme

1968 Case 580CK

Lets hope you dont need a "exothermal extraction" by a welder. Guy on youtube does some great videos on this......a very expensive welding option.

Just type this into the Youtube window to see an amazingly stuck pin on a huge front end loader. No grease was ever put in these cylinder pins and they are STUCK big time. Before using the exothermic extraction technique he successfully removes the pins by welding a bolt to the pin and using a hydraulic compression jack to pop the pin out. Great video:
John Deere Side Dump Bucket Repair Pt.1
https://youtu.be/xpEMCW5fV6Q

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Sorry for not getting back to report. And thank you all for the advice. I wound up cutting the pin with a torch. I had just enough room to cut it, then beat both ends out. Turns out the new pin was just as tight, and i had to grind it down to get it in. :beatsme

I would have worked on opening up the bore for the pin before grinding on the new pin, but that's just the way I think. As long as you keep it greased it should last many years. Grease after every use a you will flush out dirt and crap and have nice fresh grease in there for next day.