• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Striker crusher electrical issues

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Hi all,

Have a striker crusher (model 1312R) with a Cat C12 (BDL s/n), crank/no start. Showing injection disabled within ET, also shows "remote shutdown switch - active".

The remote shutdown circuit is plumbed into the striker electrics, so the Cat schematic offers no assistance except for...
upload_2021-12-27_19-48-2.png

Have no experience in these, anyone have any ideas where to start? Have checked all fuses at this stage but that's about it.

Any help appreciated.

Cmark

I have no specific experience with this particular machine but as often as not, a problem like this will turn out to be in the Estop circuit.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I concur. That message relates to either a defective external emergency stop switch or one that has been pressed and then not fully reset so it appears at first glance to be in the RUN position. Or it could be the wiring for the stop switch(es) is worn through somewhere and it's grounded.

If you have a Deutsch connector pin removal tool and can unpin the remote stop switch wire at the ECM I feel certain the engine would start. Obviously can't run the machine like that with the E-Stop disabled though.

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Thanks guys. The e-stops were all wired to ECM switched power and working fine. The e-lanyards (rope pulls) were wired into the striker system utilising the Cat ground level shutdown wire on the ECM. Wire was shorted somewhere in oblivion so virtually impossible to trace. For now the e-lanyards are working perfectly plumbed in series with the e-stops so we'll see how it goes.

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
That makes a lot of sense. Fire suppression had been installed once upon a time but has since been removed. I suspect fire suppression wiring had something to do with the actual short circuit.