• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Strategies to deal with vandals and thieves on a jobsite?

fastline

Curious what you guys have tried and what methods you use to deal with these bottom feeders? I am always torn between putting equipment in plain sight vs hiding equipment as much as possible. Whether on small/quick jobs or long running jobs. I know locally some large companies have gone to special painted components to quickly identify machines, such as painting the finals purple or something. Of course this is for outright theft of the entire piece.

That would have to be a pretty well organized deal to steal large equipment, but I am specifically curious about vandals breaking windows and trying to see what they can find to steal off a machine. Fuel and batteries are probably high on the list but who knows with criminals.

fastline

Oh, I have been disabling equipment for 20yrs and very confident in that regard, but I think it is the guys that destroy windows and such for no reason, or cause thousands in damage to get a couple batteries. I think my bigger concern is people messing with the engine oil, coolant, etc.

I am just trying to see if you guys prefer to put machines out in the open with lighting, or try to hide em? I was going to work on some motion activated lights that I can quickly hang, and maybe some trail cams, but do pics EVER actually catch a criminal? I am more in the razor wire and shock therapy camp. I can bury a corpse pretty quick.....

fastline

I think what prompted the post is I will be going too look at a land clearing situation in what sounds like a mobile home area and owner has already mentioned the mobile homes on the property he bought have already been stripped of valuables, copper, etc. I just know that (no offense) mobile home folks tend to be shady and if I do that job, I want my equipment out asap.

I will never cave to the "it's just property, it can be replaced" group. I want those folks to share their address so I can visit.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Times are different these days. Any cop will tell you that criminals being afraid to offend and get punished is not much of a hinderance any more to them. On serious jobs around here a security guard is often posted at night under a big floodlight. That way the damage never happens in the first place.

JPV

Signs saying things like video surveillance or smile your on camera actually work. Another thing is game cams placed so if someone drives up you can get license plate numbers. We leave equipment in the woods year round and fight the same thing.

fastline

Just remember, you "feared for your life" and he "tried to kill you".... I have very little remorse for thieves.

But back to reality, has anyone tried motion activated lights, sirens, etc? I was thinking of installing an actual alarm system. It might seem overkill but IMO, if you make noise and fire up lights when the thugs arrive, they usually don't like that.

fastline

Baha, this gave me a great idea to simply put a county sheriff badge on the sides. Well, I guess since we no longer stop looters and such, maybe that would be a target.

We did use some fake video cameras years ago in a high end aerospace joint. The intent was to detour certain issues, and if that didn't work, real cameras would be placed. They had a red blinking light and rotated. They looked legit!

I would agree all the way that my goal here is to detour people from even making an attempt. But I do realize crack supplies a total lack of judgment. Watched some crack heads trying to steal LIVE high voltage power lines! Yeah, they got some sweet justice!