• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Storm Work

bins

I am in the roll off container business and I was wondering how do I go about getting work from hurricane and tornados? There was a ef3 tornado that tounched down in my area last week. I just got into the business back in November and I don't really know about getting storm work. Any tips?

Turbo21835

Im sure there is a FEMA contact that you need to make. From what i have heard, when it comes to hurricanes. You are a subcontractor for fema. Ive heard stories about hurricane work. It kinda sounds like a free for all. Ive heard that you will have to go through the scales on the highway, but you dont need to stop, just go through so they see your fema # on the side of your truck. When it comes to getting paid, expect a long delay. How you get paid, I have no idea. Other than my guess is, its a spiderweb of paperwork. Good luck, and stay safe. Remember, people may be glad to see you at first. After a while, in certain parts of the country, they are going to want you gone. We heard quite a few stories about the guys in LA and Miss. Some good, some bad. That part of the country doesnt seem to like outsiders

bins

It is in my area. I heard they are not getting federal aid.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I take it you're looking for work contracted directly to a government body? Cause if your looking to work for individuals who are impacted, I'd imagine your regular advertising channels would have them looking for you.

In addition to FEMA, your state and county probably have emergency managers as well. They're certain to be involved, although it would probably be best to make yourself known to them before something happens. They're all about advance planning.

I wonder too (just kinda thinking out loud here), whether the American Red Cross would have any points of contact? They're always right in the thick of things when it comes to disaster relief.

humboldt deere

Occupation
general building and engineering contractor
check fedbizopps.com it is a link to all federal contracting opportunities and there are alot of jobs to bid on.