1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Storage in the shop

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Old Doug, Jun 18, 2022.

1. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Kinda Retired
    There is the Money maker Doug!!!

Labparamour likes this.
  2. muddog1975

muddog1975 Well-Known Member

The local dump place said " fill the paint cans with cat litter/oil dry" and they would take it.

Spud_Monkey and DMiller like this.
  3. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

Can you fill them after you cross the scale? or do you have to scale the kitty litter too? I'm that tight.....

Spud_Monkey, DMiller and muddog1975 like this.
  4. muddog1975

LOL they way they explained it was fill them with litter and let it become a solid, then they can be dump. There's just no easy/cheap way for disposal. Good luck.

DMiller likes this.
  5. joe--h

joe--h Senior Member

As someone suggested earlier, dump it on the ground. In a few days it's just a lump of dried paint with dirt stuck to the backside. Works well, I emptied a shed full a few years ago. If it's oil mix it a bit.

Joe H

DMiller likes this.
  6. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

I have gathered up 60 gallons from 2 buildings and have two more places to go. There maybe 20 gallons that havent been opened i may see if habitat for humanity will take it.
    The bad thing about litter to dry them out is the ones that are full or almost full some would have to be dumped into another container to make room. Then the litter or oil dry is not cheap. I am always looking for the fast way but i have time to let them set and dry out. I found a spot beside a building to stack the pallets but even if i set them on something the termites will eat the pallets up. I will need to spray or treat the ground with something.

muddog1975 and DMiller like this.
  7. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

I have burnt a lot of paint and varnish through the years. One time a 1/2gallon of varnish made a spectacular expulsion !
    Like tires, It doesn't create smoke at night.:rolleyes:

muddog1975 and DMiller like this.
  8. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

Put an add on craigslist or facebook marketplace and somebody will take most of the paint, the let the junk dry or pour out on bare ground, don't do it on sod!

Old Doug and DMiller like this.
  9. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    I don't keep anything anymore, haven't for a long time now. The one B model cat I had I sold it 4 months
    ago. A pile of 855 parts went to scrap yard, transmission parts scrap. Got rid of my collection of 383's/440's.
    Long ways back. I had a collection of Ford performance parts, and just to give an idea of how much.
    Between the blocks, cranks and heads/ 351C, 428/428CJ/SCJ, 429/429CJ/SCJ, and various other engine/trans
    parts. It took 4 3/4 ton pickup loads and a C65 chevy to haul it away.

Best thing I ever did was get rid of that stuff. That way when I'm gone no one has to deal with it. A big
    reason I dumped that Mack.

The only thing that will have to be dealt with is my dirty KW hat and that can be carried to the dumpster
    with a stick.

10. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

Oh I gotta see that hat. How about some pictures of that stylish attire? You can't tease us with statements like that....

kenworth hat 1.jpg kenworth hat 2.jpg

11. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    You don't have enough sweat stains in yours plus the bill needs a layer of grease thick enough you can't
    see the threads. And I can't leave out the stink.

Spud_Monkey, DMiller and Labparamour like this.
  12. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Kinda Retired
    I have actually washed my Harley Cap a FEW times, started out Deep Black. Letters used to be vibrant Red. 3XL Bucket Head sized, not Adjustable. Pretty well Wife refuses to touch it even after cleaned.
    IMG_0274.JPG IMG_0275.JPG

Can relate to Clearing the Shelves, started that a couple years back, will be done in a couple more. EMPTY!!

13. muddog1975

Good idea!

Labparamour and DMiller like this.
  14. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

I got rid of 15 running engines when i moved. I have half a pickup load of Quadrajets and Holleys. I hauled home over 2000 pounds of special Metric bolts lug studs and other specialty type bolts that i will never use but i have them. If i haul something that i have saved off for scrap and use the money to buy a tool or something that i can use i dont fill so bad about it. I havnt seen any money from the auction place were i took some stuff so that has not been a great way to get rid of stuff. He didnt sell every thing and maybe i will see the money after the next sell or maybe we need to have a talk.

Labparamour and DMiller like this.