• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Sticky Rubber Handle

Tuck66

20210320_171518.jpg 20210320_171602.jpg Looking for advice pls.
My Case 590 Backhoe, front joystick has a rubber boot, every time I use the bucket control,4-1, any action on the handle grip, it leaves a Nasty Black sticky residue on my hand.I have tried hand cleaners, & degreaser. Still Nasty.
Any ideas how to clean this?
I tried to remove it, seems impossible.
Many thanks

Delmer

MMMmmmmMMMM, phtalates. If you want to remove it, cut it with an aviation snips, or utility knife. You could try a detoxifying beauty treatment, slather it with mud, I mean special purity clay, and let it dry to suck out the extra liquids. Might have to use strips of rags to keep the mud on. Not mud, I didn't say mud, Himalayan beauty minerals, yeah.

Tuck66

I have the parts Manual also.It doesn't seem to mention or show rubber on handle..just handle :(..& Superbonder 409 glue...I can't even seen find new one...I appreciate your info.

Tinkerer

Electrical tape only works for a short time. The wraps slide upon themselves from hand pressure and the heat of your hand.
I tried it in the past. I had black adhesive on my hands as a result.
Anyone remember the old hard rubber steering wheels ? Horrible for making your hands dirty when they got old.
Just a suggestion.
Leather can be bought at any Walmart. Soak it in water and it can be stretched and stitched.

Pixie

Occupation
remodeling
Duct tape !!! Gorilla brand lasts well :)

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
There is a guy at work, every time he runs my grader, he leaves the steering wheel and shift knob like that. I'm guessing something in his sweat reacts with the rubber. I use that fast orange hand cleaner. seems to work for a while. I ordered some Dr Squatch soap. I guess I fell for the marketing. If it makes the 3339 mile trip to my house from California, and it doesn't leave my skin feeling fresh and clean, I can send it to you to try on your handle.

hookedondiesel

Electrical tape only works for a short time. The wraps slide upon themselves from hand pressure and the heat of your hand.
I tried it in the past. I had black adhesive on my hands as a result.
Are you sure it wasn't "hockey tape' you used. A "Good Quality" electrical tape should not shrink or slide upon itself. It would defeat it's purpose. 3M makes a high quality electrical tape.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Ya, but you'd have to order from Canada for that size of a handle...lol:p
A friend of mine's mother was a sex educator for public health. She used to go to the schools and have " the talk ". She was doing a condom demo on a prop, and one young lad said he would never get one big enough to fit him. She said, this will fit over your head so you must be really heavy hung, and I'm sure everyone would like to see it. Shut him up in a hurry.

Tuck66

There is a guy at work, every time he runs my grader, he leaves the steering wheel and shift knob like that. I'm guessing something in his sweat reacts with the rubber. I use that fast orange hand cleaner. seems to work for a while. I ordered some Dr Squatch soap. I guess I fell for the marketing. If it makes the 3339 mile trip to my house from California, and it doesn't leave my skin feeling fresh and clean, I can send it to you to try on your handle.
I also used fast orange....temporary it was....I think.. leather idea...makes sense to try. Appreciate the soap offer.im on Vancouver Island,Canada.
the postage chg would cost more than my backhoe..lol.thanks anyhow