• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Steering problem - only steers one way.

Steve Bowman

Occupation
Maintenance
Well, let's try this one.

Same Waldon loader from my other thread - finally got the engine running and checked the basic functionality of steering and drive. Good news is that the hydraulics and drive seem to work. However, there is a problem with the steering.

The loader has a single steering cylinder and the steering unit connected to the steering wheel. Oil is common hydraulic oil and supplied to the steering unit from one of the hydraulic pumps.

On flat ground sitting still, the loader will steer good and hold position in one direction(left), but when I steer in the other direction, it very weakly steers in that direction, but kind of drifts back towards center. I can spin the steering wheel faster to get it to move more, but it never got to full lock. Like the oil was not pumping, or was bypassing.

It was late, so I did not troubleshoot anything, but I plan on reversing the hoses going to the cylinder tomorrow to see if the problem stays with the loader steering direction(right), or if it stays with the direction I turn the wheel.

If the problem stays with turning to the right(turning wheel to the left), I imagine my problem is in the cylinder. But, if I am able to steer the loader to the right, by turning the wheel to the left, and NOT able to steer the loader to back to the left very well, the problem must be in the steering unit.

Correct? Anything else I should know?

Thanks

Steve Bowman

Occupation
Maintenance
Well, after reversing the steering lines at the steering unit, the problem remains with the direction I turn the wheel, not the direction the loader is steering. It steered fine to the right, and not so well to the left.

Looks like the problem is in my steering unit - which happens to be leaking anyway, so I want to eliminate any leaks that I can.

Now, I just need to source a kit or complete unit

As pictured... The two lines on the left go to the cylinder. The one on the top right is the drain back to the tank. The larger one on the lower right is the supply from the pump and the one in the bottom middle, below the relief valve, provides oil to the implement control valve.

Last edited:

Steve Bowman

Occupation
Maintenance
After looking at it a little, perhaps it is a more common type that just has an adapter block mounted to it for the hose connections.

The tag does not look like it provides enough information. Perhaps someone with experience will know.

THanks

Steve Bowman

Occupation
Maintenance
Well, it looks like the valve block on the bottom is a separate priority valve. Danfoss OLS series. So, the steering unit must be a danfoss of some sort.

Steve Bowman

Occupation
Maintenance
New one OEM is over $1k - So I think it may be worth rebuilding.

I am still trying to ID it to find it cheaper, possibly. The only information on the tag are the numbers stamped into it. 5 143 95 04.
Any painted information is long gone. It uses an OLS A 80 priority valve, so it it not quite a "basic" orbital valve.

Here is the priority valve.20180729_104705.jpg

Last edited:

Steve Bowman

Occupation
Maintenance
20180731_173551.jpg

These parts are under the threaded bushings shown above.

This set looks undamaged
20180731_180939.jpg

This set shows damage
20180731_180337.jpg

Last edited:

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I just came across your thread. I am not trying to dissuade you from rebuilding your orbital valve. Please please find a manual related to that valve if you put it together incorrectly that orbit roll hand pump can become a motor. it will behave you'll be able to start the engine it will sit still but then as soon as you shift it off that neutral point that will may take off better to have one brand new or factory remanufactured just to protect yourself if you cannot obtain a manual.

Steve Bowman

Occupation
Maintenance
Good advice, and was not aware of what could happen. The further I get into it, the more I have your opinion.

However... A manual has thus far eluded me. o_O Made more difficult due to the fact that I have not yet positively identified it.

I am also quite sure that this orbital valve has been worked on before, so I am not sure what condition would be "normal". This fact pushes me towards a complete replacement, but the price pushes me back.

If I could ID it, I suppose I could get parts, and a manual hopefully. I assume it is a Danfoss, but I have not yet found the Danfoss info I need to complete the puzzle.

Last edited:

hosspuller

Seems like many off road units use a single cylinder to steer. Would a steering valve from a similar sized steer cylinder be able to be used as a replacement?

I say a similar sized steer cylinder to approximate the required fluid volumes.

Steve Bowman

Occupation
Maintenance
Seems like many off road units use a single cylinder to steer. Would a steering valve from a similar sized steer cylinder be able to be used as a replacement?

I say a similar sized steer cylinder to approximate the required fluid volumes.

You are correct. That is my preferred option at this point. However, the integrated priority valve on my unit makes it harder to find a match.

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I just came across your thread. I am not trying to dissuade you from rebuilding your orbital valve. Please please find a manual related to that valve if you put it together incorrectly that orbit roll hand pump can become a motor. it will behave you'll be able to start the engine it will sit still but then as soon as you shift it off that neutral point that will may take off better to have one brand new or factory remanufactured just to protect yourself if you cannot obtain a manual.
I've seen something like this up close and personal after an HMU had been "repaired". Exactly as stated above the steering wheel just sat there after starting the engine but as soon as the wheel was moved slightly it took off like a scalded cat. It was lucky that the guy holding the wheel didn't have his thumbs in the spokes otherwise he would've had a severely broken hand or hands. I understand your reluctance in view of the price of a replacement unit and also the absence of access to a manual, but please be careful.

Steve Bowman

Occupation
Maintenance
Ah Ha! I believe I have a Von Ruden Steering unit, with a Danfoss Priority valve.

I have also located a parts break down of it, so I may be able to source the individual parts I need. I just need to try and locate a service manual for it.