• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Steering clutch adjustment on a Komatsu D37E-5

TwinPines

Hi to all. I have been reading the forum for a few weeks and lots of good information from lots of informative members. I have recently pu8rchased a Komatsu D37E-5. This past weekend was the first time I had the opportunity to use it. I don’t have anything to compare it too, but it seemed to do well. At first it would hardly turn left, the left turning brake just wouldn’t grab like it should. I read the instruction manual and adjusted both brakes according to the procedure in the book, tighten to about 28ft/lbs and then loosen the adjustment bolt by 2.5 turns. After doing so, the right brake seemed to operate properly but the left steering clutch and brake did not. At idle, when moving the joystick to the left the engine would noticeably bog down. It seemed as if the steering clutch was not disengaging before the brake would apply. I ended up adjusting the left by trial and error, I kept loosening the left brake bolt to the point where it just would not lock up the left track and then tightened it back up to where it would engage and the track would stop. I ran it for about 15 hours over the long weekend and nothing changed from that point. It operated just the same after the adjustment as it did after 15 hours of work.

Not knowing much about the dozer I figure I would ask the question about how it “should” operate. My understanding is the as the joystick is slowly moved one direction or the other, the steering clutch should disengage and depending and the circumstances, the dozer should veer in that direction without the track locking up. When the joystick is moved all the way one direction or the other, the steering clutch should release and the steering brake should lock up. It seems to work properly when turning right. But turning to the left I need to move the joystick all the way over.

My question ends up being is there an adjustment for the steering clutch as well. I have been unable to find a procedure on this in the book. They guy I purchased the dozer from said there was no adjustment.

Thank you in advance for setting me straight.
:Banghead

Kyfarm

I have a D31E-20 and I am having basically the same problem. Hopefully somebody will post some good information.

My question to you is this, My D31 seems to steer much better in 2nd gear than in 1st, Does yours do this? and I wonder why the steering would be so much better in 2nd than 1st.

TwinPines

Oxbow, Thanks for the link. It gives me a direction to go. Thanks again.

Kyfarm, as best I remember, it doesn't seem to matter which range, but I honestly did not pay attention that closely. Without knowing for sure, it seemed to me the best way to test for clutch not releasing enough before the brake applying was to drive at idle.

Thanks again.