• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Steer tires:

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I'm looking to put my 1980 Mack tractor back into service for local work. The current tires look good but are far too old to run as I've not had the truck on the road for many years. Always ran Bridgestone, or Firestone tires on my former rollback trucks with good service, and the current installed on this tractor are General Ameri-Steel which have also served well.

I was talking with a tire vendor yesterday and they tell me I should install 16, as opposed to 14ply rated tires? I'll not be overloaded, nor heavy hauling, so don't know if that is required? This tractor has always had 14ply rated tires and not given problems, so I don't know why the recommendation to upsize the capacity, or if it's really needed?

Opinions please.

Thanks,

upload_2021-1-14_4-52-45.jpeg

525isx

Occupation
log trucker
I have always run 16 ply, steer and drive - most tires I buy are only available in 16 ply, some in 14. I haul logs , so mix of on/off highway for the difference in cost, I'm a 16 ply guy. And in 34 years,99% of my tires have been either michelin or bridgestone

1693TA

Occupation
I ordered a set of FS820 Firestone tires, new ball seat aluminum rims, and a new chrome bumper for the truck this morning. Should look nice with the fresh paint.

Thanks for your response.

1693TA

Occupation
Yes, stud pilot, ball seat, Budd, original Alcoa, as I've heard them called. All with a 7/8" radius seat for the lug nut.

Thanks,