• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

''steep slopes on dozers''

Tinkerer

Slope measurement ?
and it not possible for any dozer to work on a 1 to 1 slope or even to climb a slope that steep without help from another machine or a winch

In my 30+ years running dozers I have been on a 1 to 1 slope a few times. The slopes were staked by the surveyors. So please don't think me and Vapor are talking about slopes that were just somebody's guess that they were 1 to 1. It is unpleasant to do. More than once I had to sit on the armrest of the seat to be able to run sideways because it was just too hard on my back to sit on the seat. But, it is very doable depending on the material. Also the degree of compaction, the amount of moisture in the material and the type of dozer determines if it can be done. The ability of the operator enters into the situation also. I have worked alongside operators who were good on flatter slopes but just didn't have what it takes to run anything steeper than 3 to 1. The condition and type of the tracks under the machine will either make it possible or a do not even try it situation.

Last edited:

vapor300

Tinkerer is 100% correct! I know it was a 1:1 because the gps showed that. And yes its got to be the right material or else its not possible, and must have the right tracks, wider the better!

OldandWorn

That's really cool seeing the coordination of so many dozers operating in a small area. I wonder how often they bump?

8:40 the dude is pushing a full blade even with a track locked up :eek:

Last edited:

jughead

Occupation
retired
aint been a day in my 74 years that i felt like i wanted to be in some of u guys shoes. love to push dirt but not under those conditions. i have one place on my property about 30 ft long that is just a road for my d75s measured 37 degrees what ever that means. aint enough money on Gods green earth to get me sideways on it.

PCSHAY

Yair...I have to ask, why do they use straight blades for cutting fire lines?

Cal Fires' D6 dozers were originally fitted with angle blades which makes sense, as you want to carry the fuel away from the fire. They also used to do pioneering of fire roads, fire breaks and construction of camps. I don't think they do much of that anymore. (The public hates the sight of fire breaks, at least until their house burns down). In the 80s the dozers got cabs after an operator was burned and the blades were changed at the same time. I'm guessing this was due to them not doing much pioneering work anymore but that's just my opinion. Many things are done in gov't by committee without thought to actual use. (L.A. County Fire still uses angle blades on its' new D8R s, proving the point that angle blades are more useful in fighting fire).

Last edited:

vapor300

mite be to do with angle blades are tuffer to, ive seen vpat blades break a few times on R's then they beefed them up on the T's but your still not to put alot of stress on the blade.

Jim i never even thought abought that, your probably right

JoeinTX

"8:40 the dude is pushing a full blade even with a track locked up....."

No, looks like he is simply sliding downhill with track brakes applied.

Scrub Puller

Yair...thanks PCSHAY. I have done a bit of line work and it so much easier to have the material flowing off the blade...three Allis twenty ones side casting in staggered formation can make a lot of line real quick.

firedozer

CalFire switched to the straight blades on the D6Cs so they could use a CalTrans blanket permit for hauling.
They have PAT blades on their newer machines.

dieseldriver1

Something one needs to remember when operation a dozer on steep slopes is to keep the blade on the ground. I've been on steep slopes with a 46a where if you lifted the blade, your high side track came off the ground.

Back blading..... I broke in around some old Cat Skinners building logging road in STEEP country. You don't have to get up on the slope to get your 1:1 or 1:1.5 to one, you eye balled it and used your corner bit coming and going. There's an art to it that some get and others don't.

ih100

With you on that, I wouldn't try to sit on a 1:1 in rock, I'd do it how you describe. Sometimes on finished earthwork you've got to get up there and trim at that angle.

JDDozerman

Occupation
Disabled Farmer
Hello everyone, "Newbie" here! I wish I had a picture I could post of the dam we had built on our farm in Minnesota, when I was growing up! As best I can remember, the front face was at least about 30 to 40 feet tall, maybe even more, and STEEP!!! I am pretty sure, especially from looking at the slope chart, that it was a 1:1, I don't know WHY they built it that steep, but just to give you an idea, I dang near FLIPPED my dirt bike over backwards going up it!!! Also, the ONLY way it would make it to the top was with a "running start", NO WAY it would get up it from a "dead stop", the carburetor "choked" about a third of the way up!!! Anyway, it was a steep son of a gun for sure!!! Just my 2 pennies! I sure enjoy this website! I'm in the process of buying a 71 International TD 20B dozer for my farm here in Missouri, can't WAIT!!! I hope to learn a LOT from all you experts!!!