• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

steel tracks or rubber tracks

Bill Eh

Thanks xkvator for your answer to my question on how much a KX41 would cost. I have another question that I hope someone can help me with. If I am buying a 6000 pound mini excavator should I pay the extra to get steel tracks? The steel cost about $1000 to $1200 more.

Bill

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
The mini I spend much of my time on is a Kobelco 35. That's about an 8800 lb. machine.

Personally, I spend so much time running back and forth across pavement (both concrete and asphalt), that I can't imagine having anything but rubber tracks. I'll have to admit that I've spent almost no time on grass, so I can't say whether steel or rubber would work better there, but the rubber seems just fine on bare dirt as well.

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
I found that the few mini excavators we have rented with rubber tracks tore the grass up very badly, much worse than steel. I would only get rubber if doing a substantial amount of work on pavement. In the dirt it would be steel all the way for me.

will_gurt

Charter Member
Occupation
operator in extended holding pattern
I have to agree with cat 420 here digger. Rubber tracks do seem to tear up the grass more.

DR RPM

Occupation
Dirt Flinger
You can reduce the grass tearing with the rubber tracks by lifting yourself up when turning and and plan your traveling accordingly to reduce your turns. :bash

nobull1

Charter Member
Occupation
Same as interests
I have a opinion on rubber tracks which you can read at this link. Realize that this is only my opinion, and I don't claim to be right. Any questions feel free to ask.rubber tracks

Jimothy

Occupation
Digger
Way easier to fix grass then to fix concrete or asphalt or what ever else that steel can tear up if the machine is small enough we throw rubber pads on the tracks because if we need to jump a curb or do who knows what it’s much easier to fix grass.

that being said we’ve been to places where ur not aloud to damage anything… just don’t go there lol