• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

steel tracks for ctl

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
I think there are several makers for them. Just had a Supertrak machine in the shop that had them on a 297C Cat.

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
As costly as rubber track undercarriages are to keep in shape, does anyone know how the steel track version compares in cost? I am thinking the steel should be better but would like to hear input from others on this topic.

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
I run the steel undercarriage on my 299XHP. i ordered both machines with them from the factory. We run in the shape shale here and rubber track don't make 1000 hours before they are literally sliced off the machine. The steel tracks add a bunch of weigh but the big CAT has the ponies (106hP)) to wear them. I'm told by CAT I should have no trouble seeing over 5000 hours with them. No issues to report on either on my machines with them on. Expensive option but well worth it if your confitions demands more than rubber...interested to see what you find out there for your machine. I also own JD333D's and steel undercarriage was not a factory JD option.

Last edited:

hmearth

Hi pafarmer I'm trying to find a set of steel tracks for my Deere 329D. Have you got a set on your 333D?
If so how do you find them and where did you get them from

nzpatch

Hi pafarmer, how much did it cost over rubber tracks to set up? Are the chains just dry links? Or grease lubed or sealed and lubed like a dozer? 5000 hrs would be good! How many hrs so far vs % worn . I have sat on the fence on ctl,s because of the rubber track on gravel that my work has. Thanks nzpatch

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
Hearth, I do not have them on any of my Deere CTL's....I would like a set, that why I had an interest in your search for them.

nZpatch, greased and sealed like dozer, as far as cost you can, at a minimum double the standard track cost plus easily. It's a little difficult for me to give you an exact figure as I purchased 2 new machines and leased another 6 , all 299XHP units all lumped together and discounted for volume buy.

I can tell you we have over 2500 hours on one machine and the undercarriage measures out at approx 65 percent and we are in a very harsh environment. They are holding up and performing very well for me....again due the extra weigh over rubber your machine needs the ponies(HP) to wear them effectively..I can push allot better on steel than rubber, No spin, all traction. .very nice option if your condition demand a more dozer like track configuration. My 299XHP's are out working my D4's and are doing it on half the fuel and and approx half of the overall operating cost including maintenance now that we are running on steel undercarriages. Off to work now. This 7 days a week nonstop work is killing this old mans back...regards...

Last edited:

JNB

Occupation
Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
I don't see why the steel tracks aren't more popular. My machine usually only touches pavement when loading and unloading, which would be easy to get around. I know that changing over would require a top roller, but are there any other changes? Wondering how it effects the ride quality too.