• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Steel choice for bench top

elkjunkie

I'm putting together a bench for my shop. 36" x 16' so two sheets of 3/16 is what I was thinking. The high-tensile stuff is only about $15 more. Any reason not to use it? The surface will be for small diesel engine work, hydraulics etc. It is about to have a tb135 final on it as well as a Kubota d722.
Thanks

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
I think you’ll be disappointed with 3/16” steel, I personally would use 3/8” or more. The thinner steel will be flimsy between the supports. I think there is a bench thread on here somewhere, you should look it up.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
A nice thick "formica" top.. like a kitchen counter top.. easy to clean, soft enough to keep parts from getting marred. yet sturdy enough to take a beating.. {I don't know about you, but I've thrown the Mrs up on there quite a few times}..LOL.
easy to drill holes in for a vise & what-nots.. in my case, a press, pop-tester & a wire wheel..
& they are inexpensive, come in any length & found just about anywhere..
Just a thought..

colson04

20180805_213516.jpg I just built a corner work bench and ended up using premade butcher block counter tops from Menards. They were $150 each and I coated them with three coats of polyurethane. These came 25" x 96" which works pretty good. They also had 36"x72". Thick, sturdy and clean easily with the poly finish. And if I get upset about the surface condition, sand and poly again later on.

I have to custom make the corner section still, but I'll get to it eventually.20180805_213459.jpg

elkjunkie

Thanks all!
those butcher blocks look sweet but I will be welding etc. and would feel guilty on them. The cabinets i'm covering have formica. I think my two best options (although 1/2 inch sounds great) is A36 hot rolled 3/16 @272 or 4130 cold rolled @286 as long as the fab shop can bend the 4130.

elkjunkie

After a bit more consulting and research I am lowering my expectations. Looks like 1/8" A36 for $140 a sheet. I may tackle a 1/2" welding specific table at a later date. Thanks for all the input

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Yeah, like others have said I'd go for thicker if you can... but understand things get pricey quick ;)

have you checked out any of the local scrap yards? would be a lot cheaper then at the steel yard... as scrap steel is still pretty low here :)

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Nice bullet Bumpsteer :)

curious question here.... why'd ya' put the vice so far inland? I've always mounted mine on a corner to keep em' out of the way... never had a need to be in further in.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I had access to really good welding tables in the shops I used to work, either 1/2 or full 1" steel sheet so could weld work directly to them for stability. We then had solid wood top benches for machine work and a few old US of Army Quartermaster Corp thin ga steel benches with drain holes at center for wet oily messy work as transmissions or smaller engines.

terex herder

I like to use tempered masonite for a bench cover. Screw/glue it down. Throw it away when it gets torn up and replace it. IMO 1/8 steel is to flimsy for a bench unless it is covering 2 x 12's.