• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Starting issue with Cummins 6T590

viking1

Ok, recently swapped a rebuilt Cummins 6T590 into my 855D track loader (details here: https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...-are-very-noisy-need-some-advice-please/page9 ). It had been operating perfectly till the other day it shut off abruptly (almost as if I had turned off the electric fuel shutoff). Plenty of fuel all the way from tank to pump, so I pulled the Bosch solenoid on the injector pump, pulled out the plunger, and still no go. Does anyone know a safe way to use ether or the like to determine if this IS a fuel issue? Seems to have great compression, and if it has fuel it has to run, right? I was thinking perhaps the pin on the pump drive gear may have sheared; will have to get someone to watch thru the inspection hole while I crank the engine to determine that.

viking1

Got it going after bleeding injectors. Methinks someone put water in my fuel, as it continues to starve out on a grade. Will drain & change fuel and try again tomm...

viking1

Whats it have for fuel pressure, anywhere it could be sucking air in the suction line, have you changed the fuel filters?

That doesn't seem to be the case, as I have fuel at all injectors. I drained the filter/separator and refilled it again, as well as opening the lower drain on the fuel tank itself to lose any water that was in there. After all that, now I cant get it to fire at all. That's a major inconvenience, as its blocking my driveway so that I'm now only motorcycle accessible. Its strange, but the machine ran fine on level ground; as soon as I tried to go up a grade it died again. Starting to think perhaps my injector pump isn't putting out enough pressure, but that still doesn't explain why it dies on hills.....

viking1

All squared away after draining fuel completely. Lock your fuel tanks folks; its a helluva lot easier than the repair that's necessary after getting vandalized......