• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Starting fluid ford 445 backhoe

Chevy32720

Im sure the starter fluid questions have been beat to death. Do yall know what the starting fluid technically does to the engine for the engine to require it to start? Everybody knows once u use it one time youll need it all the time. Does it damage the injectors or rings or something? My engine would start in the morning and when i shut it off it wouldnt start again until the next morning. Im wondering why that is too. I got in a bind one day and had to spray ether to get it started and now its game over it needs ether every time. Ive got an 82' ford 445 backhoe with the 183 diesel engine.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I think your idea is alittle off.. Just because u use it once doesn't mean it needs it from then on..
Its used widely to get engines going & then never used again..
To find out WHY u NEED IT, is the question..
U might just have a fuel supply problem instead of a compression problem..
Ether is the lazy mans tool.. Its a quick fix to get going..
There are a few things that can cause a no start condition.. low compression, bad air supply, low supply pressure, a worn injection pump, bad injectors.. a low battery..
It takes tools, patience & the knowledge, to figure out WHY u need the "quick start"..
AND theres a right way & a wrong way to use "the can"..

Chevy32720

I think you named all probably all my problems. Im wanting to have the injectors rebuilt and start there. The injector pump has been rebuilt a few years ago with only a few hours run since then so after the injectors are rebuilt that leaves the compression rings if theres still a problem starting. Or low battery voltage is making low rpms on starter

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
The Fords are REAL BAD about slow starting which in-turn puts a BIG LOAD on the starter..
Or viseaversa.. either way, I've rarely worked on 1 that didn't need the starter rebuilt..
If your not turning the engine fast enough, you cant create the heat necessary to get the fuel to burn/start.
& if the injectors don't spray right, it wont start fast either.. {hence the need for starting fluid}
I can re-do those injectors for ya.. I'll send u a private msg.
Does it TRY to start on starting fluid?? spit & sputter??
Did u loosen the lines AT THE INJECTORS to see if the pump is pumping?

Welder Dave

There's a whole bunch of info missing here. What was the temperature when you had to start it would be the 1st question. Starting fluid/ether used correctly has been used on engines that have gone over 10,000 hours with no ill effects from the starting fluid. Ether systems came standard on thousands of machines. I agree you could have a turning too slow situation or a fuel supply issue. You need to get someone experienced to do some diagnostics to figure out the problem before you jump to conclusions. Who knows if the injection pump was rebuilt properly. I think you need to find a mechanic to take a look at it. Going by your logic, you should just pull the engine and do a complete rebuild... when it might just be a partially restricted fuel line.

hosspuller

My 310C was addicted to ether too. A new starter cured it. Found the problem by measuring amps while cranking. Was drawing over 500 amps when 350 should have done it. Starter bearings were shot allowing the armature to drag against the coils.

Delmer

injector pump has been rebuilt a few years ago with only a few hours run since

That math means you're running old diesel fuel, try not to do that. Drain and refill or run off a temporary tank for testing purposes.