• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

starting a new business ?

WV_Logger

Im thinking about starting my own logging business and I have a few questions

would I be better off trying to find some used equipment or just lease new?

with the economy the way it is right now is there even any chance of me getting approved, I have great credit but no money for a down payment or anything?

any help is greatly appreciated?

Red Bank

WV Logger, I think with the economy like it is if your credit is good you will not have any problems. Whether to lease or buy used, if your outlook looks at all bleak or potential for slowdown leasing might be a better option with something with a backdoor to get out if you need to. You want to gamble and try it but you don't want to enter into anything that will have severe repurcussions down the road if you do not make it. Right now I am working 4 days a week for a utility company and over the past year have acquired a 81 R model Mack tandem dump truck and a 955 Cat track loader. If, and when the business takes off I will have to make a difficult decision. I am not able to take the plunge just yet. But I am trying to work and build up the side business, right now the dump truck after almost a year has paid for itself just by running on Fridays and some Saturdays. I just got the track loader three weeks ago and am trying to learn the machine out here on the farm. I have now been presented with an opportunity to buy two more Mack tri-axles and that would require hiring drivers but I am proceeding with caution thinking about all possibilites. Good luck with your endeaver. By the way what and how much equipment do you need?

WV_Logger

Thanks for the advice.

Im looking at getting a dozer and a knuckleboom loader, a couple of chainsaws but my cousin owns a stihl shop so thats no problem, but for now just the loader and dozer maybe a skidder

WCM

Occupation
Brush Clearing
Buy used

I have been logging for a short time only 5 years. I bought everything used and still do. It is better at the start to have as few and as low of payments as you can. It is sometimes hard (as the new guy on the block) to get the work.
We had some great jobs the first year, but after that the work slowed down and it took soom time to prove myself (still working on that) with others working 2 and 3 generations runing there fathers business and everyone has heard of them.
Just a thought, you can get some great stuff for much less then new. When the work is slow....it helps to have smaller payments to come up with.:usa

RTSmith

Occupation
Amateur demolition & dirt pusher
I don't know about logging specifically, but in general there's a ton of yellow iron out there, really cheap. There are times and tax reasons to buy new- these are not them. Keep your fixed costs as low as possible. These times aren't over yet. Just my humble opinion.

td25c

Im thinking about starting my own logging business and I have a few questions

would I be better off trying to find some used equipment or just lease new?

with the economy the way it is right now is there even any chance of me getting approved, I have great credit but no money for a down payment or anything?

any help is greatly appreciated?

I like to own the equipment.If you are starting a new business it is important to keep overhead low.However the equipment is not a problem.first you will need good timber job's.After you fined them then you need a cutter,skidder,knuckel boom operater,and truck driver.Now that you have employees comes payroll,and insurance.It all add's up quick.We have to ask ourselves ,what is my cost of doing business on a daily basis?In my area the timber market is a little soft,and it is also seasonal to a degree.It's no different than any other business,Inquire about the job's,fined 2or3 reliable workers,and keep everything small and simple in the begining.I wish you all the best in your new business.

Hendrik

Given the current interest rates I would say borrow the money to buy S/H. However maintenance/repair bills will be higher as will the problem of potential down time. However if having your machines sit idle for a few days while they are getting repaired is not a problem then S/H is looking good. It is in jobs with deadlines where new equipment is the better option.

Aliate

When starting a new business, buying new equipment is scary, it puts you up against the wall every month.

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
tough getting started alright!!! Don't lock yourself into one market! keep yourself diversified enough so that if things get tough you can maybe send a truck to a construction job (for example) or use your Cat to pack silage bunkers. I guess my train of thought is to kill as many birds with one stone as possible in order to keep payments as low as possible. I guess my thought on leasing is one of mixed feelings, I currently lease a NH L170 skidsteer (2008 model), and even though it is a lease it still has you somewhat locked into that payment schedule. there are penalties for early return and also if you go over your rated hrs, and if your machine gets damaged you are liable for damages! best part of a lease is that every nickel you put into it is deductible as operating expense! Currently my lease is a five year lease with buy-out option at the end. (we usually buy the machine at the end that way any wear and tear is not assesed against us)

Hendrik

best part of a lease is that every nickel you put into it is deductible as operating expense! Currently my lease is a five year lease with buy-out option at the end. (we usually buy the machine at the end that way any wear and tear is not assesed against us)
My view is that leasing is OK for short term use but in the long run you are better off to borrow the money and buy the machine outright, every nickel spend on purchasing a machine and loan repayments (including travel to the bank to pay your monthly bill) are a deduction as well.
Not sure where you get your tax advice from but justifying the extra expense of leasing on the basis of tax deductions is wrong.
However in the situation where you can't get a loan, a hire purchase agreement may be the only way to get going.

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
depending on whether or not this is a first machine. take my case for example, I previously owned a 565 NH skidloader that was leased by my father for the purpose of, first off "need" and then second his tax situation was such that he was nearing retirement and did not need any more loans to follow him into retirement. Granted Dad DID pay more in the long run but it forced the tax preparer to deduct the expense on a yearly basis instead of looking for deductions and then taking it all in two years as which is what he would have wanted to do. Bottom line it went like this five years payments, buy out at the end, depreciation for him for the remaining time as he deemed necessary. the remaining portion was depreciated as well as the interest deducted . What this did was to allow some deductions without having to sink the business into further debt by looking for another purchase two years after the 565 was purchased. So then when I took over the operation I bought the 565 as personal property and paid x dollars which amounted to about 33% of new, I depreciated the purchase in two years, traded the purchased machine for about 33% of new applied that money to the down payment and it works out that I will pay the same with the lease because of the trade in as I would have if I had purchased new right from the start. Now......why did we do it this way........it all comes back to the assets and liablities statements at the bank. Purchasing the personal property on private deal and making payments to Dad put a strain on my liabilities and total equity portion of my statement. With the lease I am only liable for that years portion of payments which are treated differently and viewed differently by the bank. The only reason this worked out for us was because first Dad was willing to make the investment in the 565, he needed some deductions, and did not want to have to make two purchases in the same five year time period only to sell the second purcahse to me as well, and put further strain on me for the intitial personal property purchase. this allowed me to work into it more slowly and cautiously. In short, for those out there reading this and for the record I do agree with Hendrick in that an intitial long term lease is more expensive!!!! by far!!! This was just one of those sacrifices that a father made for his son to continue the operation, limit liability, and allow me to have something of some value to trade when I was ready. as for the 2008 L 170 NH. I leased it solely for the purpose of again limitations of liability, beacuse of my current debt load, but because I had purchased the 565 earlier I was able to trade for the 170 and will pay same as anyone who buys the same machine outright. If I had the choice I would rather have traded the machine for a purchase. but my 565 was getting pretty wore out, and I depend on it daily for an average of 6 to8 hrs a day! but...........my debt situation was not agreable with the total purchase and added liability. Of course in about 18 months I will free up aprrox 7,000 a month in operating capital and the next time I trade that skidloader it will be for a purchase. I know it sounds like funny money, but given the circumstances it was our only option, and we needed a skidloader we could depend on .
And thinking ahead as to the questions coming down the road here, "Why didn't we buy used?" same scenario as a purchse, depreciate in two to five years only deduct interest, still liable for full value of purchase.
"could we have fixed old machine?" yes and no ..........my old machine had bad hydros, tons of hrs, and broken loader boom that kept reacurring. (which I kept fixing as best I could.) bald tires, bad radiator. all repair costs would have been more than the loader was worth.
"what was the trade in value" If I had bought new, my trade in would have been about 2500 to 3500 dollars. but because of the higher amount of a dealer finance network to profit I was afforded about $8500.00 for the lease.
Again, I will reiterate I do not personally like the long term lease, but I had to manage things in such as way as to allow me to not exceed that 55% debt to asset ratio on any given year until I was done with buying personal property. Thanks to Hendrick to challenge my decisions here, I appreciate a good discussion, and I do agree with him that a purchase is still the way to go, but sometimes banks and current asset statements do not always meet eye to eye.:usa:Banghead

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
I have never been a big fan of leases either, but your post is an excellent example of a situation where it worked for you and your company. Thanks for the explanation. Much better than I have ever received from a lease company BTW. :thumbsup

Hendrik

Thanks to Hendrick to challenge my decisions here, I appreciate a good discussion, and I do agree with him that a purchase is still the way to go, but sometimes banks and current asset statements do not always meet eye to eye.:usa:Banghead
That's what these forums are all about, sharing information and experiences with others. My experience being that hire purchase/leasing agreements are a pricey option but as you explained in some circumstances are useful.

Iron Horse

I think , anyone with a job at the moment should stay put . Things are still tough out there in the real world .

I don't know what terms the mills are on over there but they string us out to 90 days here . Wages are weekly , tyres and fuel are monthly tax is quarterly etc . Unless you can afford to carry all these costs (not even including repairs etc) until the mills pay you it's going to be tough for you . And when it looks like the whole world is against you , it rains .:(

AmericanLandMgt

Ive had this same option with my landscaping business. If you have a ton of work then leasing new gear is a decent idea. But if your like me and scared of a slack year then its nice to be able to pay off your equipment and lower your over head. I just payed off everything but one truck last year and its really nice planning this year with all those payments off my books. Especially since work is a little bit slow.

Cat is ALL

You have to consider how much money you get every paycheck then times that by how many employees you have. Payroll is a HUGE expense, plus you have to consider how much diesel costs, and if you contract a job you won't see the majority of the money until you complete the job so you have to carry your expenses until you get payed.

Not including how hard it will be for you to get accounts set up anywhere you need parts, and you'll be new so everyone will be tentative loan you money.

I really hope it works out for you in the end but it is my personal opinion that if you don't have some decent coin kicking around your not prepared. You'll be the one working 7 days a week, with less then decent pay, and a whole bottle full of headaches. I hate too seem like such a jerk, but it'd be worse if everyone said you'll be ok, prepare for the worst.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Spammed 5 threads in 5 minutes, might be a record!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

And now he's gone..:ban

In the future, please don't post to or quote a spammers post. It makes it harder for the Mods to clean it up. Thanks.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Starting out with nothing and trying to carve a living with all the start up costs, I would rather be jabbed in the eye with a sharp stick. Perhaps easing your way in. Maintain a steady paycheck working where you are currently working and do the logging thing as a second job. That way you can maintain a paycheck and explore the possibilities of running your own logging business. It makes for some long days but at least you could show the bank a reliable source of income and not have to rely on the new business to put food on the table. As the logging gets established decide then what to do.