• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Starlight drivein screen demo

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Ronsii what are they building in it's place?

I see some large StormTech chambers in the last pic.

walkerv

2nd that what are they building. We have one fairly close by does a double feature on 2 different screens friday and sat thru the summer , badin lake drive in its about 45 minutes from the house but me and wife made it out there one time this year so far when it cools down a little more gonna go again .

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Ronsii what are they building in it's place?

I see some large StormTech chambers in the last pic.
I don't know what they're building in it's place??? Keep meaning to do some research and see what else the GC builds but haven/t done it yet... at first I thought it was going to be a warehouse distribution center because of the proximity to I5 and a few of them sprouted up near there recently ;) but the GC isn't any of the guys that usually do them so.. not sure o_O

I drive by there pretty early in the mornings on weekends and so far the only guys I seen working those days were the demo guys... I guess I should find the little yellow sign and actually read it ;) it'll probably tell exactly whats being built.

The site is over 13.5 acres and surrounded by a mobile home park on the north, single family homes on most of the east, a mix of homes and retail on the south and west is pretty much all small retail businesses. So... probably be some kind of retail center strip mall or similar....

For the last 15+ years it was turned into a kind of swap meet selling mostly imported junk and some garage sales mixed in.

I put some orange marker where the stormtech are and grey and dk.grey where they have the ADS stockpiled, the road on the south already has storm and other utilities under it so I'm guessing they'll tie the stormtech exit right there.
starlight-map.jpg
starlight-map2.jpg

Last edited:

Ronsii

Occupation
Here is a warehouse they just completed less than a year ago, it's about 3500 feet south of the starlight site.
Roughly the same size site... maybe a tad smaller but not as much L shaped...

I5-logistics-center.jpg
starlight-to-I5logis.jpg

Ronsii

Occupation
I just realized I drew the ADS pipe stockpiles in the wrong corner four pics up... should have been in the upper right corner(north east). :oops:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
That property would make a good distribution center. So flat out there..

Ronsii

Occupation
Drove by this morning but it was raining and I didn't want to get wet :eek: so I didn't walk over to see what any of their signs said.... but did notice they got more stormtek stuff in and put it in the southwest corner.
starlite-sw-stormtek1.jpgstarlite-sw-stormtek2.jpg
And they moved the rest closer to the fence and have done more digging where they had originally placed them... I'm guessin' someone missed the grade ;)starlite-se-stormtek2.jpg starlite-se-stormtek1.jpg

Ronsii

Occupation
Looks like they are getting the storm system buried.
starlite-stormtek-bury1.jpg starlite-stormtek-bury2.jpg

And here is another tiltup that just got started a month ago, it is less than a quarter mile due east of the other building in post #25 and sits right next to the interstate.
starlite-tiltup-se.jpg

These things are popping up everywhere!!!

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I saw building like this back around 2007? The question is how much of it is being done on borrowed money?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I saw building like this back around 2007? The question is how much of it is being done on borrowed money?

I would guess the majority of the projects are being built on borrowed money of some sort, it's how the market works.

The big warehouse jobs I've worked on were for developers that owned the building and leased it to the large corporations on a long term lease. Apparently there is big money in building distribution centers and leasing them to Fortune 500 type corporations.

A 15-20 year lease from a Fortune 500 company is money in the bank. The loans are structured to pay off the debt well before the lease runs out.

Now someone would have to have brass balls to spec build one..Just my $.02.:cool:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The developments that went into receivership in this area were all on borrowed money and many mid size contractors were driven into bankruptcy because the developers would't pay their debts. The building boom here now is almost like then and the storm clouds are on the horizon. It's funny because there were several spec warehouse projects in progress back then that finished during the bust. I went by plenty of residential projects where the plastic pipe sticking out of the lots reminded me of a mushroom bloom after a big rain.

Ronsii

Occupation
We do work for a large ;) warehouse management/owner and they are constantly buying and building more everyday... across the globe!!! and you can bet your bottom dollar they borrow the building money just like everyone else even though they have billions in assets and cash.... they also just completed a tri level dist center in seattle first one of it's kind in the USA. They really don't care about storm clouds as their advisors look at the long run and what they will be doing in 50 - 100 years, besides they know the current crop of weather forecasters are chicken littles ;) and like most weather people they can't get it right most of the time anyways....

Ronsii

Occupation
They got some long footings poured in the last week or so. this pic was taken from the east border looking west.
KIMG1532-PANO.jpg

Ronsii

Occupation
Yep, that's it. As far as I know it's complete.... no damage as of yet... or at least we haven't been called to fix any ;) been up the road a mile or so working on the other warehouses.

Ronsii

Occupation
A quick update :)

Went by the starlite site early this morning they were already pouring slabs had a couple trucks in and a few ride-on finishers sitting there all ready.

Unfortunately my cel camera is about worthless in low light conditions... or maybe it's the operator ;)

starlight-slab-pours.jpg

Should be seeing some walls popping up in a week or so :)

Ronsii

Occupation
Well no walls yet.... maybe it's not going to have walls???

But they got curb an gutter poured around the entire perimeter along with sidewalks... starting to sound like a mini mall.

starlite-sidewalksncurbs.jpg starlite-sidewalksncurbs1.jpg